To finish out the Top 20 reviews, here is a look at my alternate universe Shadow Twins farm system and how the pre-season list has shaken out.
1) Lars Anderson, 1B, Grade A-: Finished at .233/.328/.345 for Double-A Portland in Red Sox system.. Hit .154/.250/.208 in the second half. I find it hard to believe that he hit that badly without there being some sort of undisclosed physical problem.
2) Michael Bowden, RHP, Grade B+: Finished with 3.13 ERA, 88/47 K/BB in 126 innings for Triple-A Pawtucket in Red Sox system. Would be candidate for shadow rotation in 2010.
3) Brett Lawrie, OF, Grade B: Hit .274/.348/.454 for Class A Wisconsin, .269/.283/.308 in 13 games for Double-A Huntsville in Brewers system. With the Shadow Twins, he is an outfielder and spent the whole season at Beloit. I wouldn't have bumped him to Double-A.
4) Wilson Ramos, C, Grade B: Finished at .317/.341/.454 in 54 games for Double-A New Britain. The Shadow Twins use Real Twins Latin American signees.
5) Conor Gillaspie, 3B, Grade B-: Finished at .286/.364/.386 for Class A San Jose in Giants system. This is equivalent to about .267/.337/.353 for Fort Myers in the Shadow system. Can he show more power?
6) Jake Odorizzi, RHP, Grade B-: Finished with 4.40 ERA with 43/9 K/BB in 47 innings for Helena in the Pioneer League, Brewers system In the Shadow Universe he pitched for Elizabethton, and will move up to Beloit next year.
7) Jose Mijares, LHP, Grade B-: 2.17 ERA with 48/21 K/BB in 54 innings in the Minnesota bullpen.
8) Danny Valencia, 3B, Grade B-: Combined to hit .285/.337/.466 between Double-A New Britain and Triple-A Rochester.
9) Jay Jackson, RHP, Grade B-: Combined for 2.98 ERA with 127/46 K/BB in 127 innings between Class A Daytona, Double-A Tennessee, and Triple-A Iowa in Cubs system, 109 hits allowed. Next year I would assign him to Triple-A.
10) Kevin Mulvey, RHP, Grade C+: 3.93 ERA with 113/54 K/BB in 149 innings for Rochester, 153 hits. Real Twins traded him to Arizona for Jon Rauch. I'll go along with that.
11) J.J. Hoover, RHP, Grade C+: 3.35 ERA with 148/25 K/BB in 134 innings for Class A Rome, 135 hits in Braves system. In Shadow Universe he began the year at Beloit but would have been promoted to Fort Myers sometime in August.
12) Scott Barnes, LHP, Grade C+: 12-3, 2.85 with a 99/29 K/BB in 98 innings for San Jose, then traded by the Giants to the Indians. I would NOT have traded him from the Shadow Twins and would have kept him at Fort Myers, though I'll go along with the late promotion the Indians in real life made to Double-A in August.
13) Daryl Thompson, RHP, Grade C+: 6.59 ERA with 8/7 K/BB in 29 innings for Triple-A Louisville in Reds system. Looks like he's just too fragile.
14) Ryan Mount, 2B, Grade C+: Hit .252/.301/.344 for Double-A Arkansas in the Angels system, which is about .244/.300/.344 for New Britain. Not too impressive in his first look at this level.
15) Jon Meloan, RHP, Grade C+: 4.37 ERA with 61/30 K/BB in 68 innings at four Triple-A stops, having played the waiver shuttle. Could still help in pen if he gets his command in gear.
16) Jeff Manship, RHP, Grade C+: 3.86 ERA with 75/37 K/BB in 126 innings between New Britain and Rochester.
17) Tyler Robertson, LHP, Grade C+: 3.33 ERA with 103/51 K/BB in 143 innings for Fort Myers. Double-A transition should be interesting next year.
18) Jason Pridie, OF, Grade C+: .265/.295/.382 with 25 steals in 32 attempts for Rochester. Still has the tools but poor plate discipline holds him back.
19) Brian Friday, SS, Grade C: .265/.361/.386 for Double-A Altoona in Pirates system, which is about .253/.343/.369 at New Britain. Good glove.
20) Wynn Pelzer, RHP, Grade C: 3.94 ERA with 147/59 K/BB, 134 hits allowed for Class A Lake Elsinore in the Padres system, 2.00 GO/AO. Stock rising.
Other Shadow Twins who have done well this year:
David Newmann, LHP: 3.44 ERA with 128/46 K/BB in 131 innings for Class-A Charlotte in the Tampa Bay Rays system, 1.81 GO/AO. Old for level at 24 but had missed all of 2008 with a knee injury. A sleeper.
Eamon Portice, RHP: 4.35 ERA with 141/36 K/BB in 128 innings for Class A Salem in the Red Sox system, 128 hits, 1.47 GO/AO. Deceptive delivery and high strikeout rate make him interesting.
Scott Richmond, RHP: 4.76 ERA with 102/.46 K/BB in 117 innings for the Toronto Blue Jays; would have been in Shadow Twins rotation probably.
Tim Smith, OF: Hit .321/.392/.465 with 17 steals in 19 attempts for Class A Bakersfield and Double-A Frisco in Rangers system. They traded him to the Royals, which I won't do in Shadow universe.
Matt Sulentic, OF: Hit .288/.345/.414 with 21 steals in 30 attempts for Double-A Midland in Oakland system, which is about .270/.340/.403 for New Britain.
Eric Thames, OF: Hit .313/.386/.487 in 52 games for Class A Dunedin in the Florida State League. Looks like he can hit, but has problems staying healthy.
Kevin Whelan, RHP: 2.67 ERA with 85/41 K/BB in 67 innings between Double-A Trenton and Triple-A Scranton in the Yankees system. Another potential relief asset if command comes along.
I'll review how my 2009 draft looks tomorrow, then on Monday we will get back to regular coverage.