We continue our mid-season organization reviews with a look at the San Francisco Giants Top 20 Prospects from the beginning of 2017. The index for other team reviews can be found here.
THIS IS A REVIEW OF THE OLD LIST.
THIS IS NOT A NEW LIST.
THESE ARE NOT NEW GRADES.
1) Christian Arroyo, INF, Grade B+/B: Age 22, first round pick in 2013; hit .396/.461/.604 in 91 Triple-A at-bats, but just .192/.244/.304 in 125 major league at-bats; will obviously get more chances; on DL since July 3rd with broken hand.
2) Tyler Beede, RHP, Grade B/B+: Age 24, first round pick in 2014 out of Vanderbilt; 4.79 ERA in 109 innings in Triple-A, 83/39 K/BB, 121 hits; on disabled list with groin injury since July 25th and not expected back until fall; Pacific Coast League observers found him enigmatic, erratic from start to start with both stuff and command.
3) Bryan Reynolds, OF, Grade B-/B: Age 22, second round pick in 2016 out of Vanderbilt, good year in California League with .307/.359/.442 line in 443 at-bats; more game power would be nice but hard to complain overall.
4) Ty Blach, LHP, Grade B-/B: Age 26, fifth round pick in 2012 from Creighton University in Omaha; 4.59 ERA in 139 major league innings, 67/32 K/BB, 155 hits; I think he’s capable of better.
5) Andrew Suarez, LHP, Grade B-/B: Age 24, second round pick in 2015 from University of Miami; 3.11 ERA in 142 innings between Double-A and Triple-A with 123/37 K/BB, 147 hits; the Ty Blach of 2018 and I don’t mean that in a bad way.
6) Steven Okert, LHP, Grade B-: Age 26, fourth round pick in 2012 from University of Oklahoma; solid in Triple-A (3.80 ERA in 21 innings, 18/6 K/BB) but still trying to lock down the majors (6.75 in 21 innings, 16/9 K/BB); I think he figures it out eventually.
7) Joan Gregorio, RHP, Grade B-: Age 25, 3.04 ERA in 74 innings in Triple-A, 61/35 K/BB; close to major league promotion until suspended on July 1st for PED use; will miss rest of season.
8) C.J. Hinojosa, SS, Grade B-: Age 23, 11th round pick in 2015 from University of Texas; hitting .279/.333/.352 in Double-A; should be very useful utility man due to glove.
9) Chris Shaw, 1B, Grade B-: Age 23, first round pick in 2015 from Boston College; hitting .290/.346/.526 between Double-A and Triple-A with 22 homers, 35 walks, 118 strikeouts in 420 at-bats; stock up, power is genuine.
10) Heath Quinn, OF, Grade B-: Age 22, third round pick in 2016 out of Samford; hitting .230/.288/.333 in High-A, 16 walks, 72 strikeouts in 230 at-bats; has the tools to be much better.
11) Steven Duggar, OF, Grade B-: Age 23, sixth round pick in 2015 out of Clemson; hitting .260/.371/.470 in High-A but limited to 115 at-bats by injuries; seven steals in seven attempts; easy to overlook but a typical Giants prospect who could overperform his press clippings eventually.
12) Austin Slater, OF-2B, Grade B-/C+: Age 24, eighth round pick in 2014 out of Stanford; hit .290/.343/.430 in 100 major league at-bats until going on disabled list in July with groin injury; seems legit to me.
13) Chris Stratton, RHP, Grade C+/B-: Age 26, first round pick in 2012 from Mississippi State, 5.11 ERA in 79 innings in Triple-A, 71/22 K/BB; promoted to majors, 4.91 in 26 innings, 22/13 K/BB, fanned 10 in his start against the Nationals on August 13th; sleeper for ‘18.
14) Clayton Blackburn, RHP, Grade C+/B-: Age 24; traded to Texas Rangers on April 16th, has not had a good year in Triple-A; 5.33 ERA in 81 innings, 66/23 K/BB; was much better at this level in ‘15 and somewhat better in ‘16; I remain irrationally attached to him but not by enough to retain this grade heading into ‘18.
15) Aramis Garcia, C, Grade C+: Age 24, second round pick in 2014 from Florida International; hitting .266/.315/.474 between High-A and Double-A, 17 homers, 21 walks, 85 strikeouts in 369 at-bats; 33% of runners caught, progress has been slower than hoped when he was drafted but potential remains intriguing with power.
16) Reyes Moronta, RHP, Grade C+: Age 24, signed out of Dominican Republic in 2010; throws hard, missed part of season with injury, has 3.56 ERA in 30 innings between Double-A and Triple-A, 42/18 K/BB; relief option for 2018 control allowing.
17) Dan Slania, RHP, Grade C+: Age 25, fifth round pick in 2013 from Notre Dame; 5.55 ERA in 130 innings between Double-A and Triple-A, 104/53 K/BB, 146 hits; was overmatched in the PCL (7.82 in 61 innings) but there’s enough in the arsenal to earn another chance.
18) Sam Coonrod, RHP, Grade C+: Age 24, fifth round pick in 2014 from Southern Illinois; 4.69 ERA in 104 innings in Double-A, 94/42 K/BB, 96 hits; live arm might work better in bullpen.
19) Sandro Fabian, OF, Grade C+: Age 19, signed out of Dominican Republic in 2015; hitting .259/.278/.384 in Low-A with nine homers, eight walks, 82 strikeouts in 425 at-bats; young for the level and has good tools but raw; making jump from rookie ball in 2016 so he deserves some slack.
20) Jordan Johnson, RHP, Grade C+: Age 23, 23rd round pick in 2014 from Cal State Northridge; another guy who can hit 95; 4.48 ERA in 88 innings in Double-A, 64/33 K/BB, 85 hits; out with hamstring injury.
OTHER GRADE C+:
Tyler Cyr, RHP: 2.23 ERA in 44 innings in Double-A, 51/19 K/BB, 17 saves.
Dylan Davis, OF: Hitting .210/.274/.340 in Double-A, inadequate at age 24.
Rodolfo Martinez, RHP: Out most of season with strained oblique, 4.11 ERA in 15 innings, 15/6 K/BB between Triple-A and rehab work.
Cory Taylor, RHP: 4.64 ERA in 109 innings in Double-A, 89/55 K/BB; heavy stuff may work better in bullpen.
And that completes the organization reviews. Next up: Top 100 revision.