We continue our mid-season organization reviews with a look at the Seattle Mariners Top 20 Prospects from the beginning of 2017. The index for other team reviews can be found here.
THIS IS A REVIEW OF THE OLD LIST.
THIS IS NOT A NEW LIST.
THESE ARE NOT NEW GRADES.
1) Kyle Lewis, OF, Grade B+: Age 22, first round pick in 2016 out of Mercer; coming back from knee injury, hitting .271/.345/.469 in 129 at-bats between rookie ball rehab work and High-A; small sample of course but good power so far.
2) Tyler O’Neill, OF, Grade B+: Age 22, third round pick in 2013 from high school in Canada; hitting .241/.314/.484 in Triple-A with 26 homers, 49 walks, 142 strikeouts in 448 at-bats; traded to St. Louis Cardinals for Marco Gonzales on July 21st; big power is obvious, possible impact player if zone doesn’t get away from him.
3) Nick Neidert, RHP, Grade B-/B: Age 20, second round pick in 2015, 3.45 ERA in 128 innings between High-A and Double-A with 122/22 K/BB; a very good year but went on disabled list Saturday with undisclosed injury.
4) Daniel Vogelbach, 1B, Grade B-/B: Age 24, acquired from Cubs in July 2016 trade; hitting .298/.394/.467 in Triple-A, similar to last year; he’s proven successful against PCL pitching but still waiting for a real shot in the majors.
5) Max Povse, RHP, Grade B-: Age 23, acquired from Braves in November 2016 trade; huge 6-8 right-hander with fastball at 91-95, not a great year statistically with 5.01 ERA in 59 innings between Double-A and Triple-A, 54/21 K/BB, 59 hits; pitched briefly in the majors back in June, should get more of a trial next year.
6) Rob Whalen, RHP, Grade B-: Age 22, acquired from Braves in November 2016 trade; 6.58 ERA in 53 Triple-A innings, 43/20 K/BB; disappointing after much more successful ‘16 season, placed on restricted list July 8th so he could deal with “personal issues.”
7) Mitch Haniger, OF, Grade B-: Age 26, first round pick by Brewers back in 2012 from Cal Poly, traded to Arizona in 2014, then on to Seattle in Taijuan Walker deal; hitting .267/.362/.436 in 218 major league at-bats; solid year, may improve further.
8) Andrew Moore, RHP, Grade B-: Age 23, compensation round pick in 2015 from Oregon State; 3.16 ERA in 100 innings between Double-A and Triple-A, 88/19 K/BB; 6.34 ERA in 38 major league innings with 17/5 K/BB; if given enough adjustment time he can be a fine number four starter.
9) Brayan Hernandez, OF, Grade B-/C+: Age 19, switch-hitter from Venezuela signed for $1,850,000 in 2014; hitting .277/.320/.437 in short-season A-ball, traded to Miami Marlins in David Phelps deal; very toolsy, high ceiling.
10) Drew Jackson, SS, Grade C+: Age 24, fifth round pick in 2015 out of Stanford; traded to Los Angeles Dodgers in spring training for Chase De Jong; hitting .250/.363/.416 between High-A and Double-A while fighting injuries; 20 steals; glove needs work but I still find him interesting.
11) Guillermo Heredia, OF, Grade C+: Age 26, Cuban outfielder signed in March, 2016 for $507,000; hitting .280/.343/.389 in 296 major league at-bats; I think there’s more in there.
12) Dan Altavilla, RHP, Grade C+: Age 24, fifth round pick in 2014 out of Mercyhurst; 5.46 ERA in 30 major league innings, 36/14 K/BB; slight control improvements would take him a long way.
13) Dillon Overton, LHP, Grade C+: Age 26, second round pick by Athletics in 2013 from University of Oklahoma, acquired by Mariners on January 26th for minor league catcher Jason Goldstein; claimed on waivers by San Diego Padres in mid-June; 6.80 ERA in 82 innings in Triple-A, 6.65 ERA in 23 major league innings, 11/4 K/BB; may be a Quadruple-A pitcher ultimately.
14) Christopher Torres, SS, Grade C+: Age 19, signed in 2014 from Dominican Republic for $375,000; strong tools, not great performance yet with .226/.327/.380 line in Northwest League; 12 steals; draws walks, has 60-grade speed and gap power but skills erratic.
15) Ben Gamel, OF, Grade C+: Age 25, 10th round pick by Yankees in 2010, traded to Mariners in August 2016; successful rookie season with .295/.348/.418 line in 383 at-bats in the majors; has been overshadowed by hotter MLB rookies but very solid producer.
16) Shae Simmons, RHP, Grade C+: Age 26, originally drafted by Braves in 22nd round in 2012, traded to Mariners on January 11th in Mallex Smith/Luiz Gohara deal; has missed almost entire season with elbow problems.
17) Emilio Pagan, RHP, Grade C+: Age 26, 10th round pick in 2013 from Belmont Abbey; good rookie season out of bullpen, 2.65 ERA in 34 innings, 36/6 K/BB, don’t see why this can’t continue.
18) Thyago Vieira, RHP, Grade C+: Age 24, signed out of Brazil in 2010, mid-upper-90s fastball with some reports as high as 102; 3.67 ERA in 49 innings between Double-A and Triple-A, 45/22 K/BB; should get bullpen trial next year.
19) Joe Rizzo, 3B, Grade C+: Age 19, second round pick in 2016 from high school in Virginia; hitting .251/.354/.344 in 375 at-bats in Low-A; Midwest League observers like his approach and see breakthrough potential in 2018.
20) Greifer Andrade, 2B, Grade C+: Age 20, signed out of Venezuela in 2013 for $1,000,000; hitting well in the Northwest League, .316/.327/.462; could use more patience with just five walks in 158 at-bats but has consistently hit for power and average; keep a close eye on him.
OTHER GRADE C+:
Braden Bishop, OF: Hitting .310/.397/.414 betweeen High-A and Double-A, 21 steals, sleeper.
Bryson Brigman, SS: Hitting .239/.309/.303 with 14 steals in Low-A, with reliable glove.
Pablo Lopez, RHP: 4.39 ERA in 131 innings in High-A, 112/17 K/BB; traded to Miami Marlins in David Phelps deal.
Brandon Miller, RHP: 4.40 ERA in 117 innings in Low-A, 107/27 K/BB; traded to Marlins in Phelps deal.
D.J. Peterson, 1B: Hitting 260/.321/.404 in Triple-A; claimed on waivers by Chicago White Sox in early August.
Tony Zych, RHP: 2.66 ERA in 41 major league innings, 35/21 K/BB.
Almost done with the reviews; then it will be time for top 100 revision.