We continue our mid-season organization reviews with a look at the Washington Nationals Top 20 Prospects from the beginning of 2017. The index for other team reviews can be found here.
THIS IS A REVIEW OF THE OLD LIST.
THIS IS NOT A NEW LIST.
THESE ARE NOT NEW GRADES.
1) Victor Robles, OF, Grade B+/A-: Age 20, signed out of Dominican Republic for $225,000 in 2013; hitting combined .290/.372/.484 with nine homers, 23 steals in 386 at-bats between High-A and Double-A; although overshadowed in the press by guys like Ronald Acuna and Vlad Guerrero Jr, Robles is having a very impressive season.
2) Erick Fedde, RHP, Grade B+: Age 24, first round pick in 2014 from UNLV; combined 3.63 ERA in 84 innings between Double-A and Triple-A, 74/22 K/BB; hit hard in brief major league trial but more chances will come.
3) Juan Soto, OF, Grade B: Age 18, signed out of Dominican Republic in 2015 for $1,500,000; got off to blistering start in Low-A (.360/.427/.523 in 86 at-bats) then went down with significant ankle injury; played five rookie ball rehab games in July and went 1-for-13 then headed back to disabled list with a broken hamate; status unclear at the moment; an excellent prospect if healthy.
4) Carter Kieboom, SS, Grade B-: Age 19, first round pick in 2016 from high school in Georgia; another injury case (hamstring pull) but has hit well when healthy, .302/.376/.521 in 169 at-bats between Low-A and rehab work; very promising bat and can stick up the middle.
5) Koda Glover, RHP, Grade B-: Age 24, eighth round pick in 2015 from Oklahoma State; 5.12 ERA in 19 major league innings with 17/4 K/BB, eight saves; went on disabled list in June with back injury and inflamed rotator cuff; effective when healthy.
6) Austin Voth, RHP, Grade B-: Age 25, fifth round pick in 2013 from University of Washington; 5.72 ERA in 107 innings between Double-A and Triple-A, 70/44 K/BB, 132 hits; first time in his career that he’s struggled; has missed time with injuries; could rebound next year if healthy.
7) Sheldon Neuse, 3B, Grade B-: Age 22, second round pick in 2016 from University of Oklahoma; hitting .309/.372/.503 between Low-A, High-A and Double-A; traded to Oakland Athletics in Ryan Madson/Sean Doolittle deal; good solid hitting prospect.
8) A.J. Cole, RHP, Grade B-/C+: Age 25: poor year in Triple-A with 5.82 ERA in 87 innings, 71/35 K/BB; 5.32 ERA in 22 major league innings; he is in his fourth Triple-A season and was better in past seasons, probably needs a change of scenery at this point.
9) Andrew Stevenson, OF, Grade B-/C+: Age 23, second round pick in 2015 out of Louisiana State; hitting .268/.324/.345 between Double-A and Triple-A with 10 steals, .162/.184/.162 in 37 major league at-bats with 15 strikeouts; future fourth outfielder.
10) Drew Ward, 3B, Grade C+: Age 22, third round pick in 2013 from high school in Oklahoma; hitting .240/.329/.373 with 10 homers, 49 walks, 116 strikeouts in 367 at-bats in Double-A; glove has shown impressive improvement and he has raw power but still trying to unlock it.
11) Wilmer Difo, INF, Grade C+: Age 25, hitting .276/.339/.36 in 221 major league at-bats with versatile glove; this is his true level of talent and he should have a long career in this role.
12) Pedro Severino, C, Grade C+: Age 24, from the Dominican Republic, hitting .230/.275/.330 in 191 Triple-A at-bats; best skills remain on defense.
13) Brian Goodwin, OF, Grade C+: Age 26, established in the majors now with power surge, .251/.313/.498 season, 13 homers in 251 at-bats; tools have always been there.
14) Tyler Watson, LHP, Grade C+: Age 20, 34th round pick in 2015 from high school in Gilbert, Arizona; would have gone 30 rounds higher except he was committed to Loyola Marymount; 4.61 ERA in 109 innings in Low-A, 106/29 K/BB; better potential than the ERA implies; traded to Minnesota Twins for Brandon Kintzler.
15) Rafael Bautista, OF, Grade C+: Age 24, has missed most of season with injuries; hitting .261/.314/.333 in 180 at-bats between Triple-A and rehab work; has the tools to do better.
16) Kelvin Gutierrez, 3B, Grade C+: Age 22, from the Dominican Republic, hit .288/.347/.414 in 222 at-bats in High-A before getting hurt with undisclosed injury in June; very good glove with a chance to hit.
17) Osvaldo Abreu, INF, Grade C+: Age 23, another product of Nationals Dominican program, hitting .245/.301/.345 in Double-A; has stolen just one base despite 18 swipes in 2016 and 30 in 2015; just not doing much with the bat.
18) Joan Baez, RHP, Grade C+: Age 22, another Dominican signed by the Nationals, 3.67 ERA in 81 innings with 71/58 K/BB between High-A and rookie ball injury rehab; throws quite hard but walks have to come down at higher levels, bullpen?
19) Yasel Antuna, SS, Grade C+: Age 17, signed out of Dominican Republic last summer for $3,900,000; hitting .306/.374/.385 in 144 rookie ball at-bats, a good start to his career as a hitter; defense needs a lot of work.
20) Rhett Wiseman, OF, Grade C+/C: Age 23, third round pick in 2015 out of Vanderbilt; hitting .236/.286/.400 in 390 at-bats in High-A, 11 homers, 29 walks, 86 strikeouts; bat seems stagnant.
OTHER GRADE C+:
Austin Adams, RHP: 2.38 ERA in 53 innings in Triple-A, 82/37 K/BB, ready for bullpen trial.
The 2018 list will look considerably different obviously.