We continue our mid-season organization reviews with a look at the Colorado Rockies Top 20 Prospects from the beginning of 2017. The index for other team reviews can be found here.
THIS IS A REVIEW OF THE OLD LIST.
THIS IS NOT A NEW LIST.
THESE ARE NOT NEW GRADES.
1) Brendan Rodgers, INF, Grade B+/A-: Age 21, first round pick in 2015, unstoppable in California League (.400/.419/.700 in 210 at-bats) but more human (though still solid) after moving up to Double-A (.273/.333/.434 in 143 at-bats); currently on disabled list with quad strain.
2) Jeff Hoffman, RHP, Grade B+/B: Age 24, first round pick by Blue Jays in 2014, traded to Rockies in Troy Tulowitzki deal; 5.15 ERA in 87 innings in the majors, 72/31 K/BB; has had some brilliant outings but inconsistent; I expect steady improvement.
3) Riley Pint, RHP, Grade B+/B: Age 19, first round pick in 2016 from high school in Kansas; 4.35 ERA in 89 innings in Low-A, 75/55 K/BB, 85 hits, 1.95 GO/AO; would like to see more strikeouts given his high school reputation and command obviously needs to improve.
4) German Marquez, RHP, Grade B/B+: Age 22, signed by Rays out of Venezuela in 2011, traded to Rockies in Jake McGee/Corey Dickerson deal; 4.13 ERA in 113 major league innings, 107/37 K/BB, 110 hits; a very successful rookie campaign especially given the context.
5) Tom Murphy, C, Grade B/B+: Age 26, playing time limited by arm fracture but back on the field now in Triple-A, hitting .254/.301/.447 in 114 at-bats; I still like him if healthy.
6) Raimel Tapia, OF, Grade B/B+: Age 23, signed out of Dominican Republic in 2010; destroying Triple-A (.370/.404/.523) and has hit pretty well in the majors (.287/.341/.434), just needs an opportunity.
7) Ryan McMahon, 3B-2B-1B, Grade B/B-: Age 22, second round pick in 2013, annihilated Double-A/Triple-A pitching at .354/.401/.587 and promoted to majors last week; has cut way back on strikeouts, glove has improved as well. Elite prospect.
8) Kyle Freeland, LHP, Grade B-: Age 24, first round pick in 2014 from University of Evansville; very impressive debut season, 3.74 ERA in 128 innings, 82/46 K/BB; just off disabled list following groin strain; seems legit as long as health holds up.
9) Forrest Wall, 2B-OF, Grade B-: Age 21, compensation pick in 2014; hit .299/.361/.471 in 87 at-bats in High-A until going on disabled list in May with shoulder injury, will miss rest of season.
10) Ryan Castellani, RHP, Grade B-: Age 21, second round pick in 2014 from high school in Arizona, 5.27 ERA with 108/39 K/BB in 133 innings in Double-A, 148 hits; several very strong outings but the bad ones are bad enough to keep his ERA elevated. Still intriguing.
11) Yency Almonte, RHP, Grade B-/C+: Age 23, drafted by Angels in 17th round in 2012, traded to Rockies for Tommy Kahnle; 2.72 ERA in 99 innings between Double-A and Triple-A, 87/43 K/BB; probably a reliever long-term.
12) Peter Lambert, RHP, Grade B-/C+: Age 20, second round pick in 2015, 3.97 ERA in 127 innings in High-A, 123/26 K/BB; very polished for his age, looks like durable strike-thrower.
13) Ben Bowden, LHP, Grade C+/B-: Age 22, second round pick in 2016 from Vanderbilt; has missed entire season with undisclosed injury.
14) Sam Howard, LHP, Grade C+/B-: Age 24, third round pick in 2014 from Georgia Southern; 3.18 ERA in 110 innings between Double-A and Triple-A with 94/37 K/BB; fourth starter/command type but has held his own in difficult PCL.
15) Pedro Gonzalez, OF, Grade C+/B-: Age 19, signed for $1,300,000 out of Dominican Republic in 2014; hit poorly in Pioneer League in 2016, returned there for 2017 and has been much better, .309/.379/.503; 18 walks, 52 strikeouts in 181 at-bats; tools galore, very high ceiling.
16) Antonio Senzatela, RHP, Grade C+/B-: Age 22, signed out of Venezuela in 2011; another successful Rockies rookie pitcher, 4.64 ERA in 114 innings, 87/39 K/BB, 105 hits; awesome quartet with Freeland, Marquez, Hoffman.
17) Dom Nunez, C, Grade C+: Age 22, sixth round pick in 2013; hitting .180/.323/.322 in Double-A with 10 homers, 48 walks, 73 strikeouts in 255 at-bats; defense, power, patience all promising but a .180 average is an obvious problem.
18) Tyler Nevin, 3B, Grade C+: Age 20, comp round pick in 2015, son of former major leaguer Phil Nevin; hitting .273/.337/.400 in 220 at-bats in Low-A; showing most of his power in friendly Asheville (.479 SLG vs .341 on the road); not a horrible year but not living up to his potential either, working off rust after missing all but one game in 2016 due to a severe hamstring injury.
19) Colton Welker, 3B, Grade C+: Age 19, fourth round pick in 2016 from high school in Florida; very hot start hitting .365/.409/.532 in Low-A over 222 at-bats, went on disabled list with undisclosed injury on June 16th and has not returned.
OTHER GRADE C+:
Parker French, RHP: 6.26 ERA in 124 innings in Double-A, 66/51 K/BB; move him to the bullpen?
Garrett Hampson, SS: Hitting .315/.376/.448 with 45 steals in High-A, excellent glove Brian Mundell, 1B: Hitting .298/.383/.469 between High-A and Double-A, 15 homers.
Harrison Musgrave, LHP: 6.79 ERA in 54 innings in Triple-A, fighting injuries.
Mike Nikorak, RHP: Injured all year.
Jordan Patterson, OF-1B: Hitting .286/.351/.549 in Triple-A.
Helmis Rodriguez, LHP: 4.62 ERA in 51 innings in High-A, 32/22 K/BB.
Jack Wynkoop, LHP: 4.53 ERA in 129 innings in Double-A, 72/21 K/BB, 147 hits.
With the large number of graduations, the 2018 list will obviously look much different. I’m working to finish the reviews ASAP.