We continue our mid-season organization reviews with a look at the Boston Red Sox Top 20 Prospects from the beginning of 2017. The index for other team reviews can be found here.
THIS IS A REVIEW OF THE OLD LIST.
THIS IS NOT A NEW LIST.
THESE ARE NOT NEW GRADES.
1) Andrew Benintendi, OF, Grade A: Age 23, first round pick in 2015 from University of Arkansas; hitting .265/.347/.409 with 12 homers, 45 walks, 71 strikeouts in 362 major league at-bats; a bit up-and-down with his performance but I retain full confidence in him and still think he’ll be an All-Star eventually.
2) Rafael Devers, 3B, Grade A-: Age 20, signed for $1,500,000 out of Dominican Republic in 2013; hit .311/.377/.578 between Double-A and Triple-A, promoted to majors on July 24th and hitting well so far; I’d give him a straight Grade A now, simply an outstanding prospect.
3) Jason Groome, LHP, Grade B+: Age 18, first round pick in 2016 from high school in New Jersey; hit hard early in Low-A, went on DL, rehabbed in New York-Penn League with good performance, now back in Low-A; overall 7.24 ERA in 32 innings with 41/19 K/BB; stuff reports very positive, still working on his command.
4) Bobby Dalbec, 3B, Grade B-: Age 22, fourth round pick in 2016 from University of Arizona; hitting .236/.324/.382 with 18 walks, 67 strikeouts in 157 at-bats in Low-A; missed a month with a sore wrist; contact issues the big question but a high ceiling and no need to rush him.
5) Sam Travis, 1B, Grade B-: Age 23, second round pick in 2014 from Indiana University; hitting .275/.350/.395 in Triple-A, .279/.380/.395 in 43 major league at-bats; what you see is what you get.
6) Marco Hernandez, INF, Grade B-: Age 24, originally signed by Cubs out of Dominican Republic, traded to Red Sox in 2014; hit .276/.300/.328 in 58 major league at-bats until going down with shoulder injury; season over.
7) Roniel Raudes, RHP, Grade B-: Age 19, signed out of Nicaragua in 2014; 4.28 ERA in 95 innings in High-A, 75/37 K/BB, 106 hits; throws strikes, projectable, still working to build strength.
8) C.J. Chatham, SS, Grade C+/B-: Age 22, second round pick in 2016 out of Florida Atlantic; has spent almost the entire year on the disabled list with hamstring trouble.
9) Michael Chavis, 3B, Grade C+: Age 21, first round pick in 2014, hitting .306/.361/.606 with 25 homers, 30 walks, 78 strikeouts in 350 at-bats between High-A and Double-A, tapping his power more often and showing a much more mature approach at the plate; glove needs more work but overall this season is a large step forward, probably a Grade B right now.
10) Josh Ockimey, 1B, Grade C+: Age 21, fifth round pick in 2014; hitting .279/.393/.446 in High-A with 11 homers, 66 walks, 106 strikeouts in 341 at-bats; power/patience bat showing improved feel for hitting this year; defense remains weak but he’s young enough to improve.
11) Brian Johnson, LHP, Grade C+: Age 26, 2.84 ERA in 63 innings in Triple-A with 51/21 K/BB, made five major league starts with 4.33 ERA, 21/8 K/BB in 27 innings, can be a competent fourth starter if he stays healthy but that’s a considerable if, now on DL with shoulder inflammation.
12) Kyle Martin, RHP, Grade C+: Age 26, 3.54 ERA in 41 innings in Triple-A, 37/18 K/BB; threw two innings of MLB relief with one run allowed; could be 11th man on staff if given an opportunity.
13) Chandler Shepherd, RHP, Grade C+: Age 24, 13th round pick from University of Kentucky in 2014; 4.31 ERA in 40 innings in Triple-A, 48/13 K/BB; like Martin, Shepherd can be useful in the back part of a bullpen.
14) Jake Cosart, RHP, Grade C+: Age 23, third round pick in 2014 from Seminole State Community College; younger brother of Jarred Cosart; 3.75 ERA in 36 innings in Double-A, 35/36 K/BB; good stuff but has to lower the walk rate to survive at higher levels; like Martin and Shepherd, could be useful pen arm.
15) Luis Ysla, LHP, Grade C+: Age 25, 5.05 ERA in 46 innings in Double-A with 44/32 K/BB; like Cosart, needs to improve control, could be decent reliever if he does that; traded to Los Angeles Dodgers yesterday for cash.
16) Shaun Anderson, RHP, Grade C+: Age 22, third round pick in 2016 from University of Florida; solid year with 3.58 ERA in 100 innings between Low-A and High-A, 87/30 K/BB; traded to San Francisco Giants for Eduardo Nunez on July 26th.
17) Mike Shawaryn, RHP, Grade C+: Age 22, fifth round pick in 2016 from University of Maryland; solid season with 3.93 ERA in 101 innings, 133/34 K/BB, just 87 hits between Low-A and High-A, maintaining high strikeout rates, should watch him closely as he moves up.
18) Nick Longhi, 1B-OF, Grade C+: Age 21, 30th round pick in 2013 from high school in Florida but would have been 25 rounds higher without LSU commitment; hit .262/.302/401 in 237 at-bats in Double-A; sold to the Cincinnati Reds on July 2nd, hurt elbow on July 14th and had to have surgery, will miss rest of season.
19) Gerson Bautista, RHP, Grade C+: Age 22, signed out of Dominican Republic in 2013; 5.16 ERA in 45 innings in High-A with 53/28 K/BB; clocked as high as 100 MPH but still more thrower than pitcher, high ceiling but needs time.
20) Ben Taylor, RHP, Grade C+: Age 24, seventh round pick in 2015 from South Alabama; 17 innings in majors with 5.19 ERA, 18/9 K/BB, injured much of year, missing time with elbow soreness than an intercostal strain; can be a useful middle man if healthy.
OTHER GRADE C+:
Jalen Beeks, LHP: 2.56 ERA in 105 innings between Double-A and Triple-A, 116/40 K/BB, stock up.
Tyler Hill, OF: Hitting .271/.335/.388 with 31 steals in Low-A.
Bryan Mata, RH: 2.79 ERA in 48 innings in Low-A, 44/12 K/BB, only 18 years old; stock moving up rapidly.
Yankory Pimentel, RHP: 2.45 ERA in 29 innings between High-A and Double-A, 27/10 K/BB, suspended June 9th for 80 games after testing positive for steroids.
Feel free to ask questions about any Red Sox prospects ranked pre-season, anyone not ranked pre-season, and 2017 draftees. I’ll do my best to answer in the comments.