Moving forward with our summer prospect reviews, we turn to the Los Angeles Angels farm system.
Remember, THIS IS THE PRE-SEASON LIST.
THIS IS NOT A NEW LIST
THESE ARE PRE-SEASON GRADES
WE WILL DISCUSS CURRENT EVENTS IN THE COMMENTS SECTION.
This list was originally published February 2nd, 2016
1) Taylor Ward, C, Grade B-: Age 22, first round pick in 2015 out of Fresno State, hitting .236/.303/.283 with three homers, 32 walks, 64 strikeouts in 364 at-bats in High-A; stands out for defense but hitting has been very disappointing, especially for Cal League context.
2) Victor Alcantara, RHP, Grade C+/B-: 20 starts for Double-A Arkansas, 4.70 ERA in 98 innings with 69/49 K/BB; throws hard but secondary pitches have gone backwards and command of everything remains spotty. Not a good year.
3) Jahmai Jones, OF, Grade C+/B-: Age 19, second round pick in 2015 from high school, hitting .323/.396/.472 for Orem in the Pioneer League; 13 steals, 16 walks, 26 strikeouts in 161 at-bats; quite toolsy and bat has looked more refined than expected; high ceiling.
4) Nate Smith, LHP, Grade C+: 20 starts for Triple-A Salt Lake; 4.67 ERA in 118 innings, 94/35 K/BB; 130 hits; average stuff, throws strikes, back-end starter potential.
5) Kaleb Cowart, 3B, Grade C+: Hitting .291/.348/.449 with six homers, 17 steals, 32 walks, 85 strikeouts in 361 at-bats in Triple-A; last year's swing changes seem to have stayed with him, production is decent but not excellent, which is still better than where he was before. Could be a viable role player but not a star.
6) Joe Gatto, RHP, Grade C+: Hammered in Low-A, 7.03 ERA in 64 innings with 88 hits, 54/33 K/BB; went on disabled list in late June with undisclosed injury.
7) Grayson Long, RHP, Grade C+: Age 22, third round pick from Texas A&M in 2015; eight starts in Low-A with 1.58 ERA, 45/16 K/BB in 40 innings until going on disabled list in late May; recently activated for rehab work. Could advance rapidly next year if healthy.
8) Kyle McGowin, RHP, Grade C+: 21 starts between Double-A and Triple-A, 6.18 ERA in 111 innings, 130 hits, 102/49 K/BB; physicality and stuff to be a number four starter but command isn't there yet.
9) Jake Jewell, RHP, Grade C+: 6.56 ERA in 104 innings in High-A, 81/52 K/BB, 155 hits; yeah, it is the Cal League but that's awful no matter the context; can hit upper-90s but secondaries and command have gone backwards.
10) Kyle Kubitza, 3B, Grade C+/C: Sold to Texas Rangers in late June; on the season hitting .229/.333/.368 in Triple-A with 49 walks, 103 strikeouts in 323 at-bats, very weak sauce for the Pacific Coast League. Stock way down at age 26.
11) Brendon Sanger, OF, Grade C+/C: Age 22, fourth round pick from Florida Atlantic in 2015; hitting .231/.330/.323 in the Midwest League; he can control the strike zone well but lack of power holds him back.
12) Eduardo Paredes, RHP, Grade C+/C: 58 innings between High-A and Double-A, 3.55 ERA with 63/16 K/BB; throws hard from unusual arm angle and usually throws strikes, middle relief potential.
13) Jaime Barria, RHP, Grade C/C+: 3.66 ERA in 91 innings in Low-A, 100 hits, 58/15 K/BB; excellent control but low strikeout rate is a big caution flag; Panamanian is young at age 20 and needs to be watched closely; first sign of a breakout would be more whiffs.
14) Chad Hinshaw, OF, Grade C/C+: Hit just .191/.289/.304 in 55 games in Double-A before going on disabled list in late June; at age 25 he can't afford a lost season. best tool is speed.
15) Greg Mahle, LHP, Grade C/C+: 24 games in the majors, 5.40 ERA, 14/10 K/BB, 23 hits in 18 innings. Will be 10th/11th/12th man candidate for the next six years.
16) David Fletcher, SS, Grade C: Hitting .269/.318/.341 with 15 steals, 20 walks, 39 strikeouts in 279 at-bats in High-A; solid defender at shortstop, excellent at second base; utility projection.
17) Kyle Survance, OF, Grade C: Age 22, eighth round pick from University of Houston, injured all year. good OBP potential with speed when healthy.
18) Jeremy Rhoades, RHP, Grade C: 5.80 ERA in 121 innings in High-A, 79/39 K/BB, 133 hits; like many Angels arms he has pretty decent stuff and non-terrible control but the results just haven't been there. May be better off in the bullpen.
19) Caleb Adams, OF, Grade C: Hitting .228/.284/.323 in 167 at-bats since being promoted to Double-A; age 23, fast and hit for average at lower levels but overmatched so far in the Texas League.
20) Zach Houchins, 3B, Grade C: Age 23, 13th round pick in 2014 from East Carolina, hitting .249/.296/.397 in High-A with 13 homers, 24 walks, 74 strikeouts in 398 at-bats in High-A; very impressive with the glove at third base and has some power but OBP skills are weak.
OTHERS OF NOTE: Roberto Baldoquin, INF; Jett Bandy, C; Ji Man Choi, 1B; Natanael Delgado, OF; Tyler DeLoach, LHP, Deolis Guerra, RHP; Sherman Johnson, 2B; Jefry Marte, 3B; Sam Pastrone, RHP; Michael Pierson, 3B; Austin Robichaux, RHP; Jose Suarez, LHP; Alex Yarbrough, 2B
The only rookie who has done much is Deolis Guerra, who barely rated as a prospect pre-season but has performed well enough to hold down a middle relief job in the majors.
Discuss current news or ask questions in the comments section.