More pre-season prospect list reviews, this time the Baltimore Orioles.
Remember, this is the PRE-SEASON LIST.
This is not a new list.
These are pre-season grades.
Discuss current Orioles events, breakthroughs, or disappointments in the comments section.
1) Dylan Bundy, RHP, Grade B/B-: 85 innings in the majors, nine starts and 22 bullpen appearances, 3.71 ERA with 80/29 K/BB; very solid overall with flashes of greatness, this season was close to the realistic best-case scenario for his development.
2) Hunter Harvey, RHP, Grade B/B-: Made five starts in short-season ball then was shut down for Tommy John surgery.
3) Jomar Reyes, 3B, Grade B/B-: Age 19, hitting .225/.268/.329 in High-A; very young for the level but often overmatched; nine homers, 23 walks, 96 strikeouts in 431 at-bats; some slippage on defense as well. Gets some slack due to age.
4) Chance Sisco, C, Grade B/B-: Hitting .309/.387/.401 in Double-A at age 21 with 57 walks, 78 strikeouts in 392 at-bats; has caught 33% of runners; still needs some defensive polish and more power would be nice but he can hit .300 in his sleep.
5) Trey Mancini, 1B, Grade B/B-: Strong season in Double-A/Triple-A, hitting combined .286/.360/.467 with 20 homers, 54 walks, 129 strikeouts in 510 at-bats; looks ready for a trial if they can find a way to get him into the lineup.
6) Mychal Givens, RHP, Grade B-/C+: Solid in major league pen, 3.60 ERA in 60 innings with 76/31 K/BB; any command improvements could turn him into an elite reliever. fun to watch.
7) D.J. Stewart, OF, Grade B-/C+: Age 22, first round pick out of Florida State, hitting combined .247/.370/.383 with eight homers, 22 steals, 70 walks in 381 at-bats; drawing walks as expected but has trouble getting to his power; can more swing adjustments change that?
8) Ryan Mountcastle, SS, Grade B-/C+: Age 19, hitting .284/.325/.427 with nine homers, 25 walks, 91 strikeouts in 429 at-bats in Low-A; decently reliable with glove but may not have pure range for shortstop in the long run; I like what he's done so far with the bat.
9) Christian Walker, 1B, Grade C+/B-: Hitting .265/.324/.432 in Triple-A with 15 homers, 38 walks, 126 strikeouts in 465 at-bats; very hot lately but at age 25 he can't afford to be blocked much longer, else he'll get pegged as a minor league slugger.
10) Chris Lee, LHP, Grade C+: Went on disabled list with a shoulder injury in early June and hasn't returned; too bad since he was pitching well with 5-0, 2.98 mark in seven starts in Double-A.
11) Lazaro Leyva, RHP, Grade C+: Age 22, on disabled list all season.
12) David Hess, RHP, Grade C+: Difficult season in Double-A, 5.59 ERA with 78/37 K/BB in 116 innings, 145 hits; transition from decent High-A season in '15 has gone poorly. May be better in the bullpen.
13) Parker Bridwell, RHP, Grade C+: Pitching time limited by rib injury; has thrown at five levels including the majors, combined 4.13 ERA in 70 innings with 53/31 K/BB; capable of better given his stuff but command must sharpen.
14) Gray Fenter, RHP, Grade C+: Injured all year.
15) Garrett Cleavinger, LHP, Grade C+: Age 22, 73 innings between Low-A and High-A with 2.70 ERA, 98/32 K/BB, 57 hits; the strikeouts aren't lying, he has plenty of stuff but needs better control.
16) Ofelky Peralta, RHP, Grade C: Age 19, 23 starts in Low-A with 4.01 ERA, 101/60 K/BB in 103 innings, just 87 hits; throws in mid-90s and tough to square up but needs better control; common theme here.
17) Joe Gunkel, RHP, Grade C: 26 starts between Double-A and Triple-A, 3.76 ERA, 101/20 K/BB in 151 innings, 166 hits; good control, good slider, but hittable overall; fifth starter or long reliever.
18) Joey Rickard, OF, Grade C: Rule 5 pick from Rays system made the roster, hitting .269/.319/.377 through 257 at-bats until going down with thumb injury in July; should be viable role player going forward.
19) Tanner Scott, LHP, Grade C: 4.95 ERA in 60 innings between High-A and Double-A, 77/52 K/BB with 38 hits; as with several others the K/IP and low hit rates aren't lying about his stuff but he doesn't throw enough strikes yet.
20) Andrew Triggs, RHP, Grade C: 49 major league innings, 4.38 ERA with 46/13 K/BB, 51 hits; good control, workable utility pitcher, starting recently and may improve further.
OTHER GRADE C+: Hyun Soo Kim, OF
OTHERS OF NOTE: Dariel Alvarez, OF; Drew Dosch, INF; Josh Hart, OF; Jonah Heim, C; Jason Heinrich, OF; Jon Keller, RHP; Branden Kline, RHP; Adrian Marin, SS; Ryan McKenna, OF; Ryan Meisinger, RHP; Ariel Miranda, LHP; Cedric Mullins, OF; Henry Urrutia, OF; Tyler Wilson, RHP; Mike Yastrzemski, OF
Discuss current happenings in the Orioles system. I am particularly interested in your impressions of Hyun Soo Kim, w