Continuing our reviews of the pre-season prospect lists, we turn our attention to the Miami Marlins.
Remember this is the PRE-SEASON list. This is not a new list. These are pre-season grades:
Discuss 2016 and current events in the comments section.
1) Stone Garrett, OF, Grade B-: Age 20, hit .297/.352/.581 in the New York-Penn League last year, but thumb injury limited him to 40 games for Low-A Greensboro this season with .228/.290/.416 line; still showing power but contact issues apparent, got back in the lineup last week.
2) Tyler Kolek, RHP, Grade B-: Tommy John surgery; out for season.
3) Josh Naylor, 1B, Grade B-: 2015 first round pick from high school in Ontario, highest drafted Canadian ever. Huge power inherent in 6-0, 225 frame, draws Prince Fielder comps although he's not producing at that level yet; traded to San Diego Padres in Andrew Cashner deal; hitting 271/.311/.425 on the season in A-ball with 27 doubles, 12 homers.
4) Jarlin Garcia, LHP, Grade B-/C+: Limited to nine starts in Double-A due to injury; currently on rehab assignment in Florida State League; 3.88 ERA in 46 innings, 34/12 K/BB; not exactly a lost season but not much progress either.
5) Brett Lilek, LHP, Grade B-/C+: Age 23, second round pick in 2015 from Arizona State, limited to five starts in Low-
A due to "biceps tendinitis," resulting in 5.06 ERA, 13/16 K/BB in 16 innings; good physical potential but command, health obvious concerns.
6) Kendry Flores, RHP, Grade B-/C+: 81 innings in Triple-A, 3.90 ERA with 63/35 K/BB, 87 hits over 14 starts; adequate season, could get a September trial, potential back-end starter.
7) Brian Anderson, 3B, Grade C+: Strong in High-A (.302/.377/.440), not as good after moving up to Double-A (.248/.334/.380); combined for 11 homers, 52 walks, solid glove at third base, still young enough to improve at age 23 but needs step forward next year.
8) Austin Dean, OF, Grade C+: Hitting .239/.311/.375 in Double-A with 11 homers, 46 walks, 101 strikeouts in 435 at-bats at age 22; some pop in the bat but there just isn't quite enough here to get excited about.
9) Ivan Pineyro, RHP, Grade C+: Posted 6.67 ERA in 28 innings in Double-A/Triple-A; went on the disabled list with elbow problems then was released in July. Strange story for a guy who looked like one of their better prospects nine months ago.
10) Nick Wittgren, RHP, Grade C+: Very solid year in major league bullpen, 3.12 ERA in 43 innings with 36/9 K/BB; don't see any reason to think this won't continue.
11) Avery Romero, INF, Grade C+: Weak season, .224/.294/.316 between High-A and Double-A; hasn't show much defensively either; stock down, rebound theoretically possible at age 23.
12) Austin Brice, RHP, Grade C+: Good fastball/curveball combination resulting in 2.85 ERA in 98 innings between Double-A and Triple-A, 86/30 K/BB; looks like he could fit best in relief with trial on tap in September and next year.
13) Chris Paddack, RHP, Grade C+: Traded to San Diego Padres on June 30th; pitching excellently in Low-A (0.85 ERA in 42 innings, 71/5 K/BB with superior scouting reports) but hurt elbow in late July and will miss a year with Tommy John surgery.
14) Isaiah White, OF, Grade C: Third round pick from North Carolina high school in 2015, very raw but has blazing speed and some power potential, very high ceiling but a long-term project; hitting just .223/.318/.308 in New York-Penn League; still just 19.
15) Isael Soto, OF, Grade C: Age 19, hitting .256/.325/.420 with nine homers, 36 walks, 93 strikeouts in 352 at-bats; young, very good power potential and showing signs of improved approach.
16) Jordan Holloway, RHP, Grade C: Age 20, super-projectable, 6.19 ERA in 48 innings with 41/28 K/BB between Low-A and NY-P; went on DL last week with "right triceps strain:"
17) Justin Jacome, LHP, Grade C: 2.96 ERA in 67 innings in Low-A, 46/31 K/BB, 59 hits; ERA looks nice but component ratios are not impressive for an advanced college pitcher (fifth round, 2015, UC Santa Barbara) in Low-A. Don't get excited yet.
18) Cody Poteet, RHP, Grade C: 23 starts in Low-A, 2.88 ERA with 104/41 K/BB in 112 innings; fine season from UCLA product, fourth round in 2015, but we need to see him at higher levels.
19) Kyle Barraclough, RHP, Grade C: The bright spot: 3.02 ERA in 57 major league innings, 91/38 K/BB, just 37 hits; superb K/IP and H/IP ratios imply closer ability if he can get the walks down.
20) Brian Ellington, RHP, Grade C: Like Wittgren and Barraclough, older prospect with solid stuff ready for middle relief role, 3.13 ERA in 32 innings in Triple-A with 51/23 K/BB; very good job so far in the majors with 0.92 ERA in 20 innings, 18/11 K/BB.
OTHERS OF NOTE: Jeff Brigham, RHP; Jake Esch, RHP; Raudel Lazo, LHP; Michael Mader, LHP; Austin Nola, SS; Nefi Ogando, RHP; Chris Reed, LHP; J.T. Riddle, INF; Arturo Rodriguez, C-1B; Anfernee Seymour, SS; Tomas Telis, C; K.J. Woods, 1B
The pre-season list has produced some bullpen arms but is otherwise disappointing. Discuss Marlins events in the comments section.