Moving forward with our summer prospect reviews, we turn to the New York Yankees farm system.
Remember, THIS IS THE PRE-SEASON LIST.
THIS IS NOT A NEW LIST
THESE ARE PRE-SEASON GRADES
WE WILL DISCUSS CURRENT EVENTS IN THE COMMENTS SECTION.
1) Gary Sanchez, C, Grade B+: Hitting .282/.339/.468 in Triple-A, 5-for-19 with three doubles in the majors. At this point I think he's a .260 hitter with moderate power, good enough to play if they are happy with his glove.
2) Jorge Mateo, SS, Grade B+: Hitting .257/.308/.392 with eight homers, 29 steals, 28 walks, 91 strikeouts in High-A at age 21; steady when used at shortstop and excellent when used at second base; stock holding but hasn't gone up.
3) Aaron Judge, OF, Grade B+/B: Hitting .268/.362/.481 in Triple-A with 18 homers, 45 walks, 96 strikeouts in 347 at-bats; missed a month with injury but has been very hot since returning; power remains the big draw here; ready for a trial in September.
4) James Kaprielian, RHP, Grade B+/B: 2015 first round pick out of UCLA, made three brilliant starts in High-A (22/3 K/BB, 1.50 ERA in 18 innings) until going down with elbow tendon strain; will miss remainder of season.
5) Domingo Acevedo, RHP, Grade B: 89 innings between Low-A and High-A; combined 2.63 ERA with 98/20 K/BB; can't argue with the numbers and the stuff is quite strong; placed on disabled list last week with undisclosed injury; obviously we'll have to see what's up with that.
6) Rob Refsnyder, 2B, Grade B-/B: 125 at-bats in the majors, hitting .264/.336/.328; 14 walks, 20 strikeouts; my guess is that more power will come if they let him play.
7) Wilkerman Garcia, SS, Grade B-: Age 18, hit .281/.396/.347 with 25 walks, 19 strikeouts in 121 at-bats in Gulf Coast League in 2015; signed for $1,350,000 in 2014 as part of huge Yankees international class, hitting very poorly this year at .174/.231/.255 for Pulaski in the Appalachian League, highly disappointing given his strong debut last season.
8) Dustin Fowler, OF, Grade B-/C+: Hitting .288/.322/.455 in Double-A with 28 doubles, 11 triples, eight homers, 22 steals, 21 walks, 69 strikeouts in 444 at-bats; looks like a plausible fourth outfielder with speed, gap power, defense.
9) Kyle Holder, SS, Grade B-/C+: Hitting .258/.287/.300 in 267 at-bats in Low-A; 2015 first-rounder from University of San Diego makes contact but is impatient and has no power, a bad combination; solid glove but may not matter without more hitting.
10) Ian Clarkin, LHP, Grade B-/C+: 98 innings in High-A with 3.31 ERA, 72/30 K/BB; will miss rest of season with knee injury; was holding his own for Tampa Yankees but not truly dominating.
11) Jacob Lindgren, LHP, Grade C+/B-: Tommy John surgery.
12) Tyler Wade, INF, Grade C+: Hitting .267/.372/.348 with 61 walks, 84 strikeouts, 21 steals in 408 at-bats in Double-A; patience, speed, defense best attributes but lacks power;
13) Abiatal Avelino, INF, Grade C+: Hitting combined .269/.336/.379 between High-A and Double-A; 21 steals, 36 walks, 71 strikeouts in 398 at-bats; has split time between second base and shortstop, performing adequately at both spots; utility projection.
14) Mason Williams, OF, Grade C+: Injury-plagued season, just 24 games between Double-A and Triple-A at .287/.296/.372; on shelf again at present with quad injury.
15) Ben Gamel, OF, Grade C+: Second consecutive strong year in Triple-A hitting .306/.367/.410 with 40 walks, 79 strikeouts, 19 steals in 412 at-bats; fourth outfielder without more power but a good one.
16) Drew Finley, RHP, Grade C+: Age20, third round pick in 2015 from San Diego high school, six starts so far in the New York-Penn League with 4.28 ERA in 27 innings, 20/9 K/BB; small sample and neither good enough nor bad enough to get excited about until we see more.
17) Hoy Jun Park, SS, Grade C+: Hitting .232/.345/.335 with 26 steals, 57 walks, 94 strikeouts in 358 at-bats in Low-A; patient but lacks power; shortstop defense has been shaky and he may wind up at second base.
18) Cale Coshow, RHP, Grade C+: 3.29 ERA in Double-A with 59/40 K/BB in 79 innings; can start or relieve; heavy sinker would look good in bullpen but I'd like to see more strikeouts and better control.
19) Miguel Andujar, 3B, Grade C+: Hitting .278/.339/.424, 11 homers, 33 walks, 53 strikeouts in 413 at-bats between High-A and Double-A; glove continues steady improvement but still needs to get to his power more often.
20) Luis Torrens, C, Grade C+: Hitting .235/.333/.303 in 119 at-bats between New York-Penn League and Low-A; has thrown out 37 percent of stealers but needs a lot more polish with receiving; power production an issue as well. Still just 20.
OTHER GRADE C+: Chance Adams, RHP; Jeff Degano, LHP; Jordan Montgomery, LHP; Nick Rumbelow, RHP
OTHERS OF NOTE: Trey Amburgey, OF; Luis Cessa, RHP; Domingo German, RHP; Isiah Gilliam, OF-1B; Nick Goody, RHP; Chad Green, RHP; Slade Heathcott, OF; Jhalan Jackson, OF; Brady Lail, RHP; James Pazos, LHP; Carlos Vidal, OF
Discuss current events in the comments section.