2007 Los Angeles Angels Prospects
- Brandon Wood, SS, Grade A (I'm not worried about the strikeouts)
- Nick Adenhart, RHP, B+ (A fine young pitching prospect)
- Sean Rodriguez, 2B-SS, B+ (still underrated by many)
- Hank Conger, C, B (strong bat, glove a question still)
- Erick Aybar, SS, B (starting to slip a bit in my mind)
- Stephen Marek, RHP, B (doesn't have Adenhart's ceiling)
- Jose Arredondo, RHP, B- (impressive fastball but needs another pitch)
- Sean O'Sullivan, RHP, C+ (good pitchability but has lost some of his fastball)
- Tommy Mendoza, RHP, C+ (throws strikes, projectable)
- Ryan Mount, SS, C+ (I like his bat)
- Jeff Mathis, C, C+ (needs a change of scenery)
- Hainley Statia, SS, C+ (good glove, similar to Alberto Callaspo)
- Matt Sweeney, 3B-1B, C+ (draft bargain blasted ARL pitching)
- Trevor Bell, RHP, C+ (another projectable arm)
- Jeremy Haynes, RHP, C+ (another projectable arm, gets grounders)
- Kenneth Herndon, RHP, C+ (another projectable arm, gets grounders)
- Young-Il Jung, RHP, C+ (equivalent to an extra second-round pick)
- Peter Bourjos, OF, C+ (toolsy but rather raw)
- Terry Evans, OF, C+ (was it a fluke? Not completely, but he's not really THAT good)
- Nicolas Vladimir Veras, RHP, C+ (another projectable arm)
Richard Aldridge, RHP; Chris Armstrong, LHP; Matt Brown, 3B; Clay Fuller, OF; Warner Madrigal, RHP; Bobby Mosebach, RHP; Dustin Moseley, RHP; Tommy Murphy, OF; Chris Pettit, OF; Chris Resop, RHP; Steven Shell, RHP; Reggie Willits, OF; Bobby Wilson, C.
The Angels in One Sentence: This is another farm system that has thinned out due to graduations to the majors, although there is still considerable talent present.
I really struggled with a lot of these grades. Some of the Grade C guys like Willits, Resop, and Wilson are spare-part types much closer to the majors than the Grade C+ guys, who are younger with more upside. I may downgrade some of the C+ and upgrade some of the Cs. If you have a case to make for a particular player, go ahead and make it. Remember that none of this is written in stone yet, this is the first draft.
ALL GRADES ARE PRELIMINARY. If you hate a grade, feel free to make a case for me to change it, though remember that cases phrased respectfully using logic and facts are more likely to be viewed positively than those featuring insults and invective.
There is a lot of slack in the B-/C+/C range and players may move up and down depending on how my thinking progresses. Feel free to make comments, point out sleepers I may have missed, etc. Note that there is only a limited amount of space in the book, and the max I can do is 35-36 players per team.
And, as always, there is the helpful reminder to Buy My Book, which will lay out reports for all these guys (and more) in detail.