We continue our mid-season organization reviews with a look at the Miami Marlins Top 20 Prospects from the beginning of 2017. The index for other team reviews can be found here.
THIS IS A REVIEW OF THE OLD LIST.
THIS IS NOT A NEW LIST.
THESE ARE NOT NEW GRADES.
1) Braxton Garrett, LHP, Grade B-/B: Age 20, first round pick in 2016 from high school in Alabama; threw 15 good innings in Low-A (2.93 ERA, 16/6 K/BB) until blowing out elbow and requiring Tommy John surgery.
2) Brian Anderson, 3B, Grade B-/C+: Age 24, third round pick in 2014 from University of Arkansas; hitting .271/.355/.483 between Double-A and Triple-A, showing more power this year, defense has also improved. Sleeper although an older prospect at this point.
3) Jarlin Garcia, LHP, Grade C+: Age 24, signed out of Dominican Republic in 2010; solid season out of major league bullpen, 3.43 ERA in 39 innings, 29/9 K/BB, 30 hits; capable of taking a larger role.
4) Isael Soto, OF, Grade C+: Age 20, signed out of Dominican Republic in 2013; hit .247/.320/.399 with nine homers, 43 walks, 115 strikeouts in 401 at-bats in Low-A in 2016 but has missed entire 2017 season with a broken foot.
5) Stone Garrett, OF, Grade C+: Age 21, eighth round pick in 2014 from high school in Texas; hitting .212/.257/.314 with four homers, 21 walks, 126 strikeouts in 373 at-bats in High-A; I liked him a lot in the 2015 New York-Penn League but he has been unable to transition successfully to full-season ball, hampered by injuries and serious contact problems.
6) Tyler Kolek, RHP, Grade C+: Age 21, first round pick in 2014 from high school in Texas, missed 2016 with Tommy John surgery; working his way back but has shown horrendous command problems in rookie ball rehab, walking 14 in 3.2 innings of work with a 29.45 ERA.
7) Dillon Peters, LHP, Grade C+: Age 24, 10th round pick from University of Texas in 2014; has missed time with injuries but effective when healthy, with 1.97 ERA in 50 innings, 43/13 K/BB, 35 hits between rehab work and Double-A.
8) Edward Cabrera, RHP, Grade C+: Age 19, signed out of Dominican Republic in 2015; raw arm but throws hard, 5.97 ERA in 29 innings in NY-P, 28/7 K/BB, 37 hits; throws strikes but secondary pitches erratic and he’s too hittable at present.
9) Thomas Jones, OF, Grade C+: Age 19, third round pick in 2016 from high school in South Carolina; hitting .198/.330/.297 in the NY-P, draws walks but strikes out a lot, hasn’t tapped the power in his 6-4, 195 frame; he does have 70-speed but needs to use that better, too.
10) Drew Steckenrider, RHP, Grade C+: Age 26, eighth round pick in 2012 from University of Tennessee; 2.20 ERA in 16 major league innings, 23/6 K/BB, highly competent major league reliever.
11) Austin Dean, OF, Grade C+/C: Age 23, 4th round pick in 2012 from high school in Texas, missed two months with injuries but effective when healthy, hitting .304/.337/.449 in 158 at-bats in Double-A; probably a tweener long-term.
12) Jeff Brigham, RHP, Grade C+/C: Age 25, fourth round pick by Dodgers in 2014, traded to Marlins in Mat Latos transaction; quite old to be in High-A but has performed well while fighting a spine injury, 2.90 ERA in 59 innings, 53/20 K/BB.
13) Cody Poteet, RHP, Grade C+/C: Age 23, fourth round pick in 2015 from UCLA, another guy with injury issues who was pretty good when on the mound, 3.68 ERA in 78 innings between High-A and rehab work, 43/23 K/BB, capable of better.
14) Andy Beltre, RHP, Grade C+/C: Age 24, signed by Marlins out of Dominican Republic in 2010; can hit 95-99, another relief candidate for the future with 2.44 ERA in 44 innings between High-A and Double-A, 56/16 K/BB.
15) Tayron Guerrero, RHP, Grade C+/C: Age 26, signed by Padres out of Colombia back in 2009, came over to Marlins in Andrew Cashner deal; another hard thrower with command issues, on prospect lists for years, in 2017 has 4.55 ERA in 30 innings with 35/24 K/BB at High-A/Double-A/Triple-A while dealing with a foot injury.
16) Destin Hood, OF, Grade C+/C: Age 27, former second round pick by Nationals back in 2008; hitting decently in Triple-A at .260/.349/.498 with 14 homers in 319 at-bats but on disabled list since mid-June with undisclosed injury.
17) Sam Perez, RHP, Grade C+/C: Age 22, fifth round pick in 2016 from Missouri State University; 6.21 ERA in 31 bullpen innings in Low-A; sent down to NY-P in June and has been strong as a starter, 1.70 ERA in 53 innings, 35/9 K/BB.
18) Jose Quijada, LHP, Grade C/C+: Age 21, Venezuelan lefty signed in 2013; posted 3.62 ERA in 50 innings between High-A and Double-A, 56/17 K/BB, another potential bullpen arm.
19) Humberto Mejia, RHP, Grade C/C+: Age 20, Panamanian signed in 2013; hasn’t pitched this year but not listed as injured.
20) James Nelson, 3B, Grade C/C+: Age 19, 15th round pick in 2016 from Cisco Junior College in Texas; good season with .312/.359/.457 line in 359 at-bats in Low-A, albeit with 100 strikeouts and a fairly sharp home/road split via friendly Greensboro; currently on DL with “hamstring spasm” which sounds painful.
Remember this is the pre-season list. I’m trying to finish the reviews as quickly as possible.