We continue our mid-season organization reviews with a look at the Chicago White Sox Top 20 Prospects from the beginning of 2017. The index for other team reviews can be found here.
THIS IS A REVIEW OF THE OLD LIST.
THIS IS NOT A NEW LIST.
THESE ARE NOT NEW GRADES.
CHECK COMMENTS SECTION FOR UPDATE ON RECENT TRADES
1) Yoan Moncada, 2B-3B, Grade A: Age 22, signed by Red Sox out of Cuba in 2015; traded to White Sox in Chris Sale deal; hit .282/.377/.447 for Triple-A Charlotte with 12 homers, 17 steals, 49 walks, 102 strikeouts in 309 at-bats; should provide power, OBP, and steady defense; contact and a strong home/road split in Triple-A lead to some short-term batting average concerns but a long and productive career should be expected.
2) Lucas Giolito, RHP, Grade A-/B+: Age 23, first round pick by the Nationals in 2012, traded to White Sox in Adam Eaton deal; very erratic season in Triple-A, has had some dominant/outstanding outings and some really bad ones; overall line is weak with 5.38 ERA and 106/48 K/BB in 97 innings, 97 hits; stock lower by any realistic measure, still young enough to come around but we’re at the point where expectations must be tempered.
3) Michael Kopech, RHP, Grade A-/B+: Age 20, first round pick in 2014 by the Red Sox, came over in Sale trade; 3.51 ERA in 92 innings in Double-A, 114/55 K/BB, 64 hits allowed; extreme hard thrower with some command issues but stuff is so good it hasn’t mattered yet, ahead of Giolito now on depth chart/prospect lists.
4) Reynaldo Lopez, RHP, Grade B+: Age 23, signed by Nationals out of Dominican Republic in 2012, another component of Eaton trade; 3.65 ERA in 106 innings in Triple-A, 107/40 K/BB, 90 hits; occasional command wobbles still happen but he’s ready for a full major league trial and has moved ahead of Giolito.
5) Carson Fulmer, RHP, Grade B+: Age 23, first round pick in 2015 out of Vanderbilt; 5.42 ERA in 95 innings in Triple-A, 66/48 K/BB, 96 hits; at this point I think the skeptics were correct and he is better-suited for bullpen work.
6) Zack Collins, C, Grade B+: Age 22, first round pick in 2016 from University of Miami Hurricanes; hitting .218/.363/.440 with 15 homers, 64 walks, 101 whiffs in 284 at-bats in High-A; showing expected power and patience but with a concerning strikeout rate; needs to improve receiving some but has also thrown out 41% of runners; despite low batting average I’d hold the grade steady right now.
7) Zack Burdi, RHP, Grade B: Age 22, first round pick from University of Louisville in 2016, 4.05 ERA in 33 innings in Triple-A, 51/17 K/BB; now out with Tommy John surgery; blistering stuff with some command issues, will have to see how he recovers.
8) Dane Dunning, RHP, Grade B: Age 22, first round pick in 2016 from University of Florida by the Nationals, another segment of the Eaton deal; 2.94 ERA in 98 innings between Low-A and High-A with 112/28 K/BB; very successful season so far, can move him up to B+.
9) Alec Hansen, RHP, Grade B: Age 22, second round pick in 2016 from University of Oklahoma; 2.62 ERA in 96 innings between Low-A and High-A, 119/34 K/BB; like Dunning he’s doing very well and his grade will bump up a notch to B+.
10) Spencer Adams, RHP, Grade B-: Age 21, second round pick in 2014, 3.98 ERA in 118 innings in Double-A with 93/22 K/BB, 123 hits; doesn’t have the physical upside of the guys ahead of him but throws strikes and could be a solid workhorse type.
11) Luis Alexander Basabe, OF, Grade B-: Age 20, signed by Red Sox from Venezuela in 2012; part of the Sale trade; hitting .222/.322/.330 with five homers, 15 steals, 42 walks, 91 strikeouts in 324 at-bats in High-A; good tools but Carolina League has exposed issues with his swing; very young of course.
12) Jameson Fisher, OF, Grade C+: Age 23, fourth round pick in 2016 from Southeastern Louisiana; hitting combined .255/.352/.416 with 22 doubles, seven homers, 43 walks, 85 strikeouts in 329 at-bats; somewhat of a blah season but not horrendous, would like to see more power.
13) Michael Ynoa, RHP, Grade C+: Age 25; long-term prospect originally in Oakland Athletics system lost years to injuries but finally got to majors in ’16; 29 innings in MLB bullpen this year with 5.90 ERA, 23/22 K/BB, 28 hits; sent back to Triple-A on July 8th; back of the bullpen guy unless he dramatically improves his command.
14) Dylan Covey, RHP, Grade C+: Age 25; fourth round pick in 2013 by Athletics; selected in December 2016 Rule 5 draft; stuck with the club out of spring training and made eight starts but with ugly 8.12 ERA, 22/16 K/BB and 52 hits in 38 innings; went on disabled list with strained oblique in late May and still there.
15) Charlie Tilson, OF, Grade C+: Age 24, drafted by Cardinals in second round in 2011 from high school in Illinois; traded to White Sox for Zach Duke; on disabled list all year with foot fracture.
16) Jake Peter, INF-OF, Grade C+: Age 24, seventh round pick in 2014 from Creighton University; hitting .278/.343/.384 between Double-A and Triple-A, patiently waiting for a shot as a versatile bench asset.
17) Jordan Stephens, RHP, Grade C+: Age 24, fifth round pick in 2015 out of Rice University; started year on disabled list but came back in June and has been effective, 1.33 ERA in 47 innings in Double-A with 37/12 K/BB; track record of injuries but good success record when healthy.
18) Alex Call, OF, Grade C+: Age 22: third round pick in 2016 out of Ball State University; injured most of the season with strained intercostal, painful ribs; hitting just .135/.246/.221 in 104 at-bats split between A-ball and rookie ball rehab assignment; gets an injury mulligan for this year.
19) Matt Cooper, RHP, Grade C+: Age 25, 16th round pick in 2014 from University of Hawaii; 4.75 ERA in 75 innings in Double-A with 77/26 K/BB; went on “inactive” list in June and has yet to return; specific reason is undisclosed but press reports say this is not an injury or PED issue.
20) Jacob May, OF, Grade C+: Age 25, third round pick in 2013; hitting .252/.314/.327 with 19 steals in 278 at-bats in Triple-A, but hit just .056 in 36 major league at-bats; speed and defense remain in play but just not enough power or plate discipline to move past reserve role.
OTHER GRADE C+:
Victor Diaz, RHP: Hurt most of year, 12.00 ERA in 12 innings in A-ball, 14/10 K/BB.
Adam Engel, OF: .228/.304/.337 in 101 at-bats in the majors, standout athlete but questionable bat.
Bernardo Flores, LHP: 3.72 ERA in 97 innings in A-ball, 84/25 K/BB.
Luis Martinez, RHP: 5.52 ERA with 42/22 K/BB in 46 innings between Low-A and High-A.
Jordan Guerrero, LHP: Breakthrough season in Double-A, 3.65 ERA with 112/29 K/BB.
Amado Nunez, SS: 34 at-bats so far in the Pioneer League, .206/.308/.353; sample too small to mean anything.
Several people have asked me for an updated (rather than a reviewed) White Sox list accounting for the recent trades. I will do that in the comments section, so scroll down and we’ll talk about it.