We continue our mid-season organization reviews with a look at the Arizona Diamondbacks Top 20 Prospects from the beginning of 2017. The index for other team reviews can be found here.
1) Anthony Banda, LHP, Grade B: Age 23, acquired in Gerardo Parra trade in 2014, 5.08 ERA in 101 innings in Triple-A, 93/43 K/BB, not that bad for Reno/PCL environments, promoted to majors and made his MLB debut yesterday.
2) Domingo Leyba, 2B-SS, Grade B: Age 21, has missed most of the year with injuries but is now back in action, hitting .276/.344/.448 in 58 at-bats in Double-A.
3) Taylor Clarke, RHP, Grade B-: Age 24, third round pick in 2015 from College of Charleston; pitching very well in Double-A with 2.71 ERA in 100 innings, 100/32 K/BB, just 83 hits; needs more attention than he’s received.
4) Dawel Lugo, SS-3B, Grade B-: Age 21, acquired from Toronto Blue Jays in 2015 trade; was hitting .282/.325/.428 in 341 at-bats until being traded to the Detroit Tigers in the J.D. Martinez deal last week.
5) Jasrado Chisholm, SS, Grade B-: Age 19, signed out of Bahamas in 2015; hit .248/.325/.358 in 109 at-bats in Low- A until going on disabled list in late May with undisclosed injury; impressive physical tools especially speed/defense but needs progress with the bat, still very young of course.
6) Anfernee Grier, OF, Grade B-: Age 21, competitive balance pick in 2016 out of Auburn University; hitting .253/.342/.321 with two homers, 22 steals, 41 walks, 78 strikeouts in 336 at-bats in Low-A; fast, gets on base, toolsy, lacks power.
7) Jon Duplantier, RHP, Grade C+/B-: Age 23, third round pick in 2016 out of Rice University, performing excellently with 1.55 ERA in 93 innings between Low-A and High-A, 102/26 K/BB, only 63 hits; appeared in 2017 Futures Game and probably ready for a jump to Double-A right now.
8) Socrates Brito, OF, Grade C+: Age 24, missed first two months with a broken hand but is back in action and performing well in Triple-A, .320/.371/.500 in 150 at-bats; nothing left to prove in the PCL.
9) Alex Young, LHP, Grade C+: Age 23, second round pick in 2015 from Texas Christian; so-so season in Double-A, 4.31 ERA in 88 innings, 71/40 K/BB, 81 hits; shuts down lefties, might be better-off in bullpen long-term.
10) Jimmie Sherfy, RHP, Grade C+: Age 25, 10th round pick in 2013 from University of Oregon, dominating in Triple-A bullpen, 1.77 ERA in 36 innings, 15 saves, superb 46/3 K/BB, ready for MLB trial.
11) Victor Reyes, OF, Grade C+: Age 22, switch-hitter from Venezuela acquired from Braves in 2015; hitting .283/.327/.378 in Double-A with 12 steals; impressive glove, probably a fourth outfielder unless he starts showing more power.
12) Cody Reed, LHP, Grade C+: Age 21, second round pick in 2014 from high school in Alabama; not to be confused with Cody "Mississippi" Reed in the Reds system; this Reed is having a fine season with a 2.79 ERA between Low-A and High-A, 104/30 K/BB in 100 innings, 84 hits; needs more attention.
13) Jared Miller, LHP, Grade C+: Age 23, 11th round pick in 2014 out of Vanderbilt; huge lefty (6-7, 240) can hit 97, has 3.42 ERA in 47 innings between Double-A and Triple-A, 51/18 K/BB, could be quite useful in bullpen if command holds.
14) Andy Yerzy, C, Grade C+: Age 19, second round pick in 2016 from high school in Canada; hitting .255/.298/.425 in 98 at-bats in the Pioneer League, six walks, 23 strikeouts; good power potential and young but raw with the strike zone and with the glove.
15) Marcus Wilson, OF, Grade C+/C: Age 20, competitive balance pick in 2014 from high school in California; hitting .292/.391/.477 with eight homers, 10 steals, 38 walks, 56 strikeouts in 243 at-bats; quietly having a very good year in the Midwest League, showing power/speed potential and a better approach.
16) Ryan January, C, Grade C+/C: Age 19, eighth round pick in 2016 from San Jacinto Junior College; has missed entire season on suspension after testing positive for amphetamines.
17) Matt Koch, RHP, Grade C+/C: Age 26, third round pick by the Mets in 2012, acquired by Diamondbacks for Addison Reed in 2015; injured most of the year, just getting back now in Triple-A, 8.47 ERA in 17 Triple-A innings.
18) Jack Reinheimer, INF, Grade C+/C: Age 25, third round pick in 2013 from East Carolina by the Mariners, traded to Diamondbacks in Mark Trumbo deal; hitting .275/.340/.355 in Triple-A, not great in Reno context; still has viable utility profile.
19) Joey Krehbiel, RHP, Grade C+/C: Age 24, 12th round pick by the Angels in 2011, traded to Arizona in 2014 Joe Thatcher deal; decent year in Double-A, 3.52 ERA in 38 innings, 54/18 K/BB, could use better control but high whiff rate is cool.
20) Ildemaro Vargas, INF, Grade C+/C: Age 26, from Venezuela; hitting .297/.340/.432 with 21 walks, 29 strikeouts in 377 at-bats; like Reinheimer, he can be a useful infield utility player.
OTHER GRADE C+/C:
Luis Alejandro Basabe, 2B: Hit .229/.318/.337 in Low-A, went on disabled list in late June with undisclosed injury.
Justin Donatella, RHP: Solid year in High-A, 3.60 ERA in 100 innings, 84/33 K/BB.
Wei-Chieh Huang, RHP: Strong season in Low-A bullpen, 1.47 ERA with 42/10 K/BB in 37 innings.
Curtis Taylor, RHP: Solid season in Low-A, 3.32 ERA in 62 innings, 68/23 K/BB.
Feel free to ask questions about anyone listed here, anyone not listed pre-season, and 2017 draftees. I will answer in the comments.