We continue our mid-season organization reviews with a look at the Arizona Diamondbacks Top 20 Prospects from the beginning of 2017. The index for other team reviews can be found here.
This list was originally published December 2nd, 2016
1) Anthony Banda, LHP, Grade B: Age 23, acquired in Gerardo Parra trade in 2014, 5.08 ERA in 101 innings in Triple-A, 93/43 K/BB, not that bad for Reno/PCL environments, promoted to majors and made his MLB debut yesterday.
2) Domingo Leyba, 2B-SS, Grade B: Age 21, has missed most of the year with injuries but is now back in action, hitting .276/.344/.448 in 58 at-bats in Double-A.
3) Taylor Clarke, RHP, Grade B-: Age 24, third round pick in 2015 from College of Charleston; pitching very well in Double-A with 2.71 ERA in 100 innings, 100/32 K/BB, just 83 hits; needs more attention than he’s received.
4) Dawel Lugo, SS-3B, Grade B-: Age 21, acquired from Toronto Blue Jays in 2015 trade; was hitting .282/.325/.428 in 341 at-bats until being traded to the Detroit Tigers in the J.D. Martinez deal last week.
5) Jasrado Chisholm, SS, Grade B-: Age 19, signed out of Bahamas in 2015; hit .248/.325/.358 in 109 at-bats in Low- A until going on disabled list in late May with undisclosed injury; impressive physical tools especially speed/defense but needs progress with the bat, still very young of course.
6) Anfernee Grier, OF, Grade B-: Age 21, competitive balance pick in 2016 out of Auburn University; hitting .253/.342/.321 with two homers, 22 steals, 41 walks, 78 strikeouts in 336 at-bats in Low-A; fast, gets on base, toolsy, lacks power.
7) Jon Duplantier, RHP, Grade C+/B-: Age 23, third round pick in 2016 out of Rice University, performing excellently with 1.55 ERA in 93 innings between Low-A and High-A, 102/26 K/BB, only 63 hits; appeared in 2017 Futures Game and probably ready for a jump to Double-A right now.
8) Socrates Brito, OF, Grade C+: Age 24, missed first two months with a broken hand but is back in action and performing well in Triple-A, .320/.371/.500 in 150 at-bats; nothing left to prove in the PCL.
9) Alex Young, LHP, Grade C+: Age 23, second round pick in 2015 from Texas Christian; so-so season in Double-A, 4.31 ERA in 88 innings, 71/40 K/BB, 81 hits; shuts down lefties, might be better-off in bullpen long-term.
10) Jimmie Sherfy, RHP, Grade C+: Age 25, 10th round pick in 2013 from University of Oregon, dominating in Triple-A bullpen, 1.77 ERA in 36 innings, 15 saves, superb 46/3 K/BB, ready for MLB trial.
11) Victor Reyes, OF, Grade C+: Age 22, switch-hitter from Venezuela acquired from Braves in 2015; hitting .283/.327/.378 in Double-A with 12 steals; impressive glove, probably a fourth outfielder unless he starts showing more power.
12) Cody Reed, LHP, Grade C+: Age 21, second round pick in 2014 from high school in Alabama; not to be confused with Cody "Mississippi" Reed in the Reds system; this Reed is having a fine season with a 2.79 ERA between Low-A and High-A, 104/30 K/BB in 100 innings, 84 hits; needs more attention.
13) Jared Miller, LHP, Grade C+: Age 23, 11th round pick in 2014 out of Vanderbilt; huge lefty (6-7, 240) can hit 97, has 3.42 ERA in 47 innings between Double-A and Triple-A, 51/18 K/BB, could be quite useful in bullpen if command holds.
14) Andy Yerzy, C, Grade C+: Age 19, second round pick in 2016 from high school in Canada; hitting .255/.298/.425 in 98 at-bats in the Pioneer League, six walks, 23 strikeouts; good power potential and young but raw with the strike zone and with the glove.
15) Marcus Wilson, OF, Grade C+/C: Age 20, competitive balance pick in 2014 from high school in California; hitting .292/.391/.477 with eight homers, 10 steals, 38 walks, 56 strikeouts in 243 at-bats; quietly having a very good year in the Midwest League, showing power/speed potential and a better approach.
16) Ryan January, C, Grade C+/C: Age 19, eighth round pick in 2016 from San Jacinto Junior College; has missed entire season on suspension after testing positive for amphetamines.
17) Matt Koch, RHP, Grade C+/C: Age 26, third round pick by the Mets in 2012, acquired by Diamondbacks for Addison Reed in 2015; injured most of the year, just getting back now in Triple-A, 8.47 ERA in 17 Triple-A innings.
18) Jack Reinheimer, INF, Grade C+/C: Age 25, third round pick in 2013 from East Carolina by the Mariners, traded to Diamondbacks in Mark Trumbo deal; hitting .275/.340/.355 in Triple-A, not great in Reno context; still has viable utility profile.
19) Joey Krehbiel, RHP, Grade C+/C: Age 24, 12th round pick by the Angels in 2011, traded to Arizona in 2014 Joe Thatcher deal; decent year in Double-A, 3.52 ERA in 38 innings, 54/18 K/BB, could use better control but high whiff rate is cool.
20) Ildemaro Vargas, INF, Grade C+/C: Age 26, from Venezuela; hitting .297/.340/.432 with 21 walks, 29 strikeouts in 377 at-bats; like Reinheimer, he can be a useful infield utility player.
OTHER GRADE C+/C:
Luis Alejandro Basabe, 2B: Hit .229/.318/.337 in Low-A, went on disabled list in late June with undisclosed injury.
Justin Donatella, RHP: Solid year in High-A, 3.60 ERA in 100 innings, 84/33 K/BB.
Wei-Chieh Huang, RHP: Strong season in Low-A bullpen, 1.47 ERA with 42/10 K/BB in 37 innings.
Curtis Taylor, RHP: Solid season in Low-A, 3.32 ERA in 62 innings, 68/23 K/BB.
Feel free to ask questions about anyone listed here, anyone not listed pre-season, and 2017 draftees. I will answer in the comments.