Continuing with our 2016 PRE-SEASON prospect list reviews, we turn our gaze upon the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Remember, this is the PRE-SEASON LIST.
THIS IS A REVIEW
THIS IS NOT A NEW LIST
THESE ARE PRE-SEASON GRADES.
Discuss current events and ask questions about other players in the comments thread.
1) Archie Bradley, RHP, Grade B/B+: 17 starts in the majors, 95 innings, 4.91 ERA, 92/48 K/BB, 97 hits; gives glimpses of dominance ability every few starts but command wobbles often enough to mute his talent; capable of better if he stays healthy, but the same can be said for a lot of young pitchers who never quite adapt.
2) Braden Shipley, RHP, Grade B/B+: 119 innings in Triple-A, 3.70 ERA, 77/22 K/BB; five major league starts with 4.30 ERA, 17/13 K/BB in 29 innings; nothing left to prove in minors, they just need to let him pitch; future number three starter if he shows enough consistency.
3) Brandon Drury, 3B, Grade B: Hitting .256/.301/.415 in the majors, 10 homers, 19 walks, 72 strikeouts in 328 at-bats; Prediction: similar numbers in 2017, then a major breakout in 2018.
4) Tyler Wagner, RHP, Grade B-: Went on Triple-A disabled list in May with undisclosed injury.
5) Cody Reed, LHP, Grade B-: "Alabama" Reed made 14 starts between Low-A and High-A, combined 3.82 ERA with 84/20 K/BB in 75 innings; went on disabled list in mid July after significant velocity decline; injury undisclosed.
6) Alex Young, LHP, Grade B-: Very good season from 2015 second-rounder out of TCU, 2.74 ERA, 76/34 K/BB in 105 innings between Low-A and High-A, 94 hits; would like to see more strikeouts but overall he's performed well and is ready for Double-A.
7) Socrates Brito, OF, Grade B-: Hitting .280/.305/.432 in 236 at-bats in Triple-A, .185/.185/.352 in 54 at-bats in majors; still shows impressive tools but aggressive approach limits OBP ability.
8) Wei-Chieh Huang, RHP, Grade B-: A. Upside limited but high floor, fourth starter command type, age 22, hit hard this year (6.10 ERA in 49 innings between High-A and short-season ball, 51/21 K/BB, 58 hits; may not have quite enough stuff to make it as a starter although he thrived last year in Low-A.
9) Taylor Clarke, RHP, Grade B-/C+: Age 23, third round pick in 2015 from College of Charleston, 23 starts between Low-A, High-A, Double-A; 3.41 ERA, 101/27 K/BB, 125 hits; polished, throws strikes, could be efficient workhorse type.
10) Silvino Bracho, RHP, Grade B-/C+: Effective in Triple-A, 3.94 ERA with 42/7 K/BB in 32 innings, 15 saves, but hit hard in majors so far with 6.75 in 15 innings, 11/7 K/BB; still see him as a solid bullpen component with more chances.
11) Peter O’Brien, C-OF-1B, Grade C+/B-: .270/.299/.546 with 22 homers, 13 walks, 117 strikeouts in 337 at-bats in Triple-A; .123/.167/.333 in 57 major league at-bats with four homers, 25 strikeouts; huge power, huge contact issues, no mysteries.
12) Yoan Lopez, RHP, Grade C+/B-: 5.52 ERA with 38/32 K/BB in 68 innings in Double-A; went on DL in June then reportedly wanted to quit baseball in July though they talked him out of it; just activated in rookie ball for rehab; a huge disappointment considering the $8,000,000 plus equivalent tax they invested in him.
13) Zack Godley, RHP, Grade C+: 45 innings in majors with 5.24 ERA, 35/13 K/BB; has been used as both starter and reliever with some success; could be nice sleeper investment for 2017.
14) Jamie Westbrook, 2B, Grade C+: Hitting .264/.322/.339 in Double-A; not much power but makes contact, very reliable defense at second base.
15) Anthony Banda, LHP, Grade C+: Stock up, fine season with 2.80 ERA between Double-A and Triple-A, 129 innings, 133/40 K/BB, looks ready for a September trial.
16) Jake Barrett, RHP, Grade C+: 3.71 ERA in major league bullpen, 42/21 K/BB in 41 innings, 39 hits; decent debut, could take a larger role if he can reduce the walks going forward.
17) Gabriel Guerrero, OF, Grade C+: 363 at-bats between Double-A and Triple-A, hitting .231/.278/.377 with eight homers, 25 walks, 88 strikeouts in 363 at-bats; hasn't hit well since leaving the California League; bloodlines only get you so far.
18) Ryan Burr, RHP, Grade C+: 21 innings in A-ball before going on disabled list, just activated for rehab work in rookie ball; 3.86 ERA with 18/9 K/BB: good relief arm who could move quickly if healthy; fifth round pick in 2015 from Arizona State.
19) Jack Reinheimer, INF, Grade C+: Hitting .272/.333/.361 in Triple-A; not much of a hitter at this point due to lack of power but very good with the glove; could be useful on bench.
20) Carlos Hernandez, RHP, Grade C+: 2.65 ERA in 105 innings in Low-A, 103/60 K/BB, just 84 hits; impressive strikeout and hit rates but will have to get the walks down as he moves up; deceptive change-up.
OTHER GRADE C+: Colin Bray, OF; Austin Byler, 1B; Daniel Gibson, LHP; Brad Keller, RHP; Domingo Leyba, INF; Dawel Lugo, SS.
OTHERS OF NOTE: Zach Borenstein, OF; Zac Curtis, LHP; Todd Glaesmann, OF; Jose Herrera, C; Joey Krehbiel, RHP; Jose Martinez, RHP; Sam McWilliams, RHP; Adam Miller, RHP; Matt Railey, OF; Victor Reyes, OF; Marcus Wilson, OF
Domingo Leyba and Dawel Lugo were number 21 and 22; both have been very good this year and their current stock is way up; I'll do a separate article about them later today.
Discuss current events in the comments thread.