Good afternoon all, and welcome to the Thursday, June 2nd edition of Minor League Ball's Gameday.
I'll be pinch-hitting on Gameday duties for the next several days while John and the gang kick our MLB draft coverage into hyperstellar overdrive.
The Gameday spreadsheet is back, and hopefully in full effect. Click the link below to open the spreadsheet in a new window - but only if you wish to immerse yourself in the full Gameday experience. The initial tab will give you a rundown on the statistical goodness located inside.
If any miscues are spotted within the spreadsheet, we would appreciate a shout as we get it back up and running. Rest assured, fans - there were no changes to our time-honored formula(e).
Thursday's story roundup
- Here at Minor League Ball, Cookiedabookie continued his MLB draft prospect series with a look at the top backstops
- With May in the books, Sam at MiLB looks at seven startling statistics from the past month.
- David Laurilia at FanGraphs caught up with Colorado's D.J. LeMahieu to further examine his transformation from singles-hitter to All-Star/Gold Glove-winning singles-hitter.
- MLB Pipeline's Jonathan Mayo ruminates on the ultimate risk vs. reward game: this years' class of prep pitchers
- The Chicago Reader put out on a fun piece yesterday on minor league teams in the Midwest.
- Chris Cotillo of MLBDailyDish had a Q&A with California HS product Mickey Moniak
- Over at RotoGraphs, Trey Baughn spills the beans on four fantasy prospects he expects to surge in the second half.
- Sometimes ya gotta dig deep: the Harvard Business Review took a look last week at the concept of 'Minor League Moneyball' and predictive analytics.
- Toronto's Jon Harris recently rang up 32 straight scoreless innings, and Curt at milb.com detailed the overhaul in his delivery that led to it - plus other MWL notes
- Vince at BA wrote about the 10 most powerful middle infield prospects (by ISO), and whether they can sustain it
Offensive performances of note -
SS/OF Jose Peraza (CIN - AAA) - 4-5, 2B, R, RBI
SS Orlando Arcia (MIL - AAA) - 5-7, R, RBI, BB
IF Joey Gallo (TEX - AAA) - 1-5, HR, R, 3 RBI, 2 K
OF Jabari Blash (SD - AAA) - 4-4, 2 R, 2 2B, 2 RBI, BB
OF Roman Quinn (PHI - AA) - 3-4, 2 2B, 3 R, 1 HR, 4 RBI
1B Chris Curley (MIA - AA) - 4-4, 3 R, 2B, 3B, HR, 4 RBI
1B Bobby Bradley (CLE - A+) - 2-3, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI, BB, E
2B Dickie Joe Thon (TOR - A+) - 3-3, 2 R, 2 2B, 2 RBI, BB
OF Jared Foster (LAA - A) - 2-4, 2 R, 2 HR, 5 RBI
SS Edmundo Sosa (StL - A) - 4-4, 2 R, 2B, HR, 4 RBI
3B Ke'Bryan Hayes (PIT - A) - 3-5, 3 R, 2B, RBI, BB
Pitching performances of note -
RHP Alex Reyes (StL - AAA) - 6 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 11 K
RHP Tyler Glasnow (PIT - AAA) - 5 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 4 BB, 3 K
LHP Sean Manaea (OAK - MLB) - 6 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 8 K
RHP Michael Fulmer (DET - MLB) - 7.2 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 8 K
RHP Brock Stewart (COL - AA) - 6 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 7 K (4-3, 1.04 in 10 GS)
LHP Matt Hall (DET - A) - 6 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, BB, 6 K (6-0, 0.72 in 9 GS)