The Minnesota Twins traded veteran Ryan Doumit to the Atlanta Braves today, receiving pitching prospect Sean Gilmartin in exchange. Here's a look at the newest member of the Minnesota farm system.
Sean Gilmartin, LHP: Gilmartin was drafted by the Braves in the first round in 2011 from Florida State University. He was considered a very advanced prospect and close to major league-ready. He posted a 3.84 ERA with a 111/39 K/BB in 157 innings in 2012, finishing the season in Triple-A, but was much less effective in 2013. Bothered by a shoulder injury, he went just 3-8, 5.74 with a 65/33 K/BB in 91 innings for Triple-A Gwinnett, allowing 112 hits.
Gilmartin is a 6-2, 190 pound lefty born May 8, 1990. When everything is right, he throws strikes with an 88-91 MPH fastball, an above-average change-up, and a decent slider, giving him three pitches. The shoulder problem cost him a tick off his normal velocity last year, down as low as 85-86 MPH, and he was very hittable in Triple-A, lacking the stuff to blow the ball past hitters if he made a mistake in location. His feel for pitching is highly-rated, although it didn't prevent him from getting tagged in '13.
His shoulder is supposedly OK now and I'd have to assume that the Twins are comfortable with his medical reports. If healthy, he projects as a stereotypical strike-throwing southpaw fourth starter.
More from our team sites
- Minor League Ball Daily Discussion, December 18, 2013
- An Outsider's View Inside the Winter Meetings
- This Week in Transactions: Winter Meetings Special Edition
- White Sox trade Addison Reed to Diamondbacks for Matt Davidson
- San Francisco Giants preliminary prospect list
- Boston Red Sox Organization Discussion
- Christian Colon and the psychology of player analysis
- Kansas City Royals Top 20 Prospects for 2014
- You're the Farm Director! How do you fix the Yankees farm system?
- Prospect Retrospective: Omar Infante, 2B, Kansas City Royals
- Minor League Ball post winter meeting open thread and update
- 2013 MLB Rule 5 Draft: Player Reports
- 2013 MLB Rule 5 Draft, Minor League Phase
- 2013 MLB Rule 5 Draft: Live
- 2013 MLB Rule 5 draft preview