Mark Appel (03-25-2012) USC at Stanford (Stanford, Calif.) (via DiamondScapeBaseball)
1) Houston Astros: Mark Appel, RHP, Stanford
Appel is a originally from Houston and I have heard that Luhnow and company have been following him hard. I would bet that Buxton is their #2 option.
2) Minnesota Twins: Byron Buxton, OF, Georgia HS
If the Astros take Buxton, they may take Appel or Correa but I think Buxton is the pick here.
3) Seattle Mariners: Carlos Correa, SS, Puerto Rico HS
This is a tough call and I think they would take Buxton if he gets here but I think Correa gets taken here over the other college arms.
4) Baltimore Orioles: Kevin Gausman, RHP, Louisiana State
I think Gausman is the most likely choice here. They could surprise with Giolito but I think they take the big LSU righty.
5) Kansas City Royals: Kyle Zimmer, RHP, San Francisco
I think the Royals would prefer Gausman here but I think Zimmer is next on their board.
6) Chicago Cubs: Mike Zunino, C, Florida
This is tough. Correa could slip to them and they would likely take him if he is there but I think Jed and company would take the solid Zunino if he is there.
7) San Diego Padres: Max Fried, LHP, California HS
I don't see Fried getting past the Padres if the Cubs don't take him.
8) Pittsburgh Pirates: Lucas Giolito, RHP, California HS
I have heard Marrero connected heavily here but I think Pittsburgh continues to be aggressive in the draft here and takes the BPA.
9) Florida Marlins: Albert Almora, OF, Florida HS
The Marlins would likely be elated to get the polished prep out of their backyard.
10) Colorado Rockies: Tanner Rahier, SS, California HS
I have seen Courtney Hawkins here a lot and I leaned that way but Rahier really seems like a Colorado type of pick.
11) Oakland A's: Richie Shaffer, 3B, Clemson
The best college hitter in the draft has to be at the top of the A's board doesn't he?
12) New York Mets: David Dahl, OF, Alabama
Along the lines of last years choice of Nimmo, Dahl doesn't have quite the same potential but he is a solid choice here.
13) Chicago White Sox: Deven Marrero, SS, Arizona State
I thought about taking JT Chargois here, but I didn't want to be too snarky. Marrero would be a solid choice here.
14) Cincinnati Reds: Marcus Stroman, RHP, Duke
He should NOT slide past this but he could.
15) Cleveland Indians: Lance McCulers, RHP, Florida
Big prep arm should get taken in the top 15. He could go as early as 9 but shouldn't go much later than this.
16) Washington Nationals: Courtney Hawkins, OF, Texas
Nats love star potential. Hawkins has that. Gallo does as well so either could be the choice here.
17) Toronto Blue Jays: Joey Gallo, 3B, Nevada HS
Biggest power out of the prep ranks could do damage north of the border.
18) Los Angeles Dodgers: Gavin Cecchini, SS, Louisiana HS
Cecchini is one of the best high school fielders and should hit enough to be a very good pick for the Dodgers.
19) St. Louis Cardinals: D.J. Davis, OF, Mississippi HS
Davis is flying up draft boards and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cards take him here.
20) San Francisco Giants: Andrew Heaney, LHP, Oklahoma
Could be one of the quicker players to reach the bigs and is a safe bet to be a #3 starter or better.
21) Atlanta Braves: Tyler Naquin, OF, Texas A & M
Polished college player with limited upsided but average starter potential. Yep, sounds like a Braves choice.
22) Toronto Blue Jays: Michael Wacha, P, Texas A & M
AA and company do well getting a good cross section of talent in the draft. I think a college arm would be a solid choice.
23) St. Louis Cardinals: Ty Hensley, P, Oklahoma HS
One of the better prep arms would be a good addition to the Cards system.
24) Boston Red Sox: Lucas Sims, P, Georgia HS
Could be any of the players above that slide but Sims is a big upside arm.
25) Tampa Bay Rays: Chris Stratton, RHP, Mississippi State
It's getting hard this deep and the Rays are hard to peg but they always like arms and Stratton is a good one.
26) Arizona Diamondbacks: Hunter Virant, California HS
Virant is a projectable lefty and the D'backs have had some luck with that in the past with Skaggs.
27) Milwaukee Brewers: Clint Coulter, C, Washington HS
Heard this is a strong connection and Coulter should still be available here.
28) Milwaukee Brewers: Shane Watson, RHP, Texas HS
Offsetting the bat, I think if any of the college arms above slide to here, they would take them ahead of Watson.
29) Texas Rangers: Corey Seager, 3B, North Carolina HS
Another wild card but Seager is a big potential bat that could fit.
30) New York Yankees: Addison Russell, SS, Florida HS
I've heard this connection often as well and I think it could happen as I don't see him going much higher than this.
31) Boston Red Sox: Matt Smoral, LHP, Ohio HS
This late in the round, this is hard but Smoral has top 15 talent but could slide due to injury. He should be signable here.