Team: Name, Position, School
1. Pirates : Anthony Rendon , 3B , Rice
Rendon is the best talent in the draft but it isn't a lock that the Pirates will take him here. I do think he should be taken here though.
2. Mariners : Gerrit Cole , RHP , UCLA
Cole has looked great early in the season and considering other M's pitching prospects, they may go with the pitcher that is bigger with a more durable build.
3. Diamondbacks : Matt Purke , LHP , Texas Christian
If Purke continues to miss starts, he could slide, but it is far too early to think about that.
4. Orioles : George Springer , OF , Connecticut
Springer may be the best speed/power combination in this draft and the Orioles could jump on the projection and hope the K's drop.
5. Royals : Jackie Bradley , OF , South Carolina
Bradley would look good on the young KC team joining Brett Eibner and Wil Myers in the outfield of the future for the Royals.
6. Nationals : Taylor Jungmann , RHP , Texas
Jungmann doesn't have the elite tools like Strasburg or Harper but he could help the big league team within 2 or 3 years along with said studs.
7. Diamondbacks (Barret Loux) : John Stilson , RHP , Texas A&M
With the improved chance of Stilson becoming a starter, he could solidify his chance to be picked here.
8. Indians : Matt Barnes , RHP , Connecticut
Barnes would add another top college arm to the Indians system. Hard to pass on the upper 90's fastball especially with the control improvements.
9. Cubs : Sonny Gray , RHP , Vanderbilt
The Cubs tried to sign Gray once and failed, but I am confident they'll get him if they draft him here.
10. Padres (Karsten Whitson) : Francisco Lindor , SS , Montverde (Fla.) Academy
Lindor is the best SS in this draft, unless Esposito can stick but I'm not sure of that. I'm not sure that he'll hit enought to justify this pick but high school SS that will be able to play SS are rare.
11. Astros : Jed Bradley , LHP , Georgia Tech
Bradley's three pitch mix is good enough, he may not need much time to make it to the majors and I'm sure the Astros would like that.
12. Brewers : Bubba Starling , OF/P , Gardner Edgerton HS, Gardner, Kan.
One of the best athletes in the draft, Starling could be a steal at 12 if he signs.
13. Mets : Derek Fisher, OF, Cedar Crest, Rexmont, PA
This isn't a typical Mets pick but I have a feeling he will be a riser this spring. His bat is just scraping the surface of his talent.
14. Marlins : Daniel Norris , LHP , Science Hill HS, Johnson City, Tenn.
Norris is a rare high school lefty that doesn't need a ton of projection. The Marlins have leaned prep athletes lately so I think Norris could be a solid pick here.
15. Brewers (Dylan Covey) : Trevor Bauer , RHP , UCLA
After taking Starling earlier, Bauer may be a stretch here, but I'll give the Brewers the benefit of the doubt that they will replenish their system this year and pay up for both these top talents.
16. Dodgers : Archie Bradley , RHP , Broken Arrow (Okla.) HS
The Dodgers didn't have a problem locking up Zach Lee and the fact football players' bonuses can be spread over 5 years, I would bet the financially troubled Dodgers will try that tactic again this year.
17. Angels : Henry Owens , LHP , Edison HS, Huntington Beach, Calif.
Owens is a big lefty with a ton of potential. The Angels like high upside talents and he is definately that.
18. Athletics : Joshua Bell , OF , Jesuit HS, Dallas TX
Bell is an athlete first and foremost. He is raw and toolsy but that has been a direction the A's haven't been afraid to go at the top of the draft.
19. Red Sox (Victor Martinez) : Blake Swihart , C , Rio Rancho, N.M.
Swihart may be the best catcher in the draft offensively. Defensively he could be an elite backstop as well. High school catchers are hard to project, but Swihart seems like he should have a good chance to succeed.
20. Rockies : Dylan Bundy , RHP , Owasso (Okla.) HS
Bundy is similar to Sonny Gray as he is a short stocky RHP but he has a top of the draft arm. He doesn't fit the Rockies profile, maybe I should have them pick Cam Newton :)
21. Blue Jays : Brian Goodwin , OF , Miami Dade CC
The Jays love the high ceiling raw athlete lately and that is exactly what Goodwin is. I don't believe in the bat from what I have seen of him, but I felt the same way about Dickie Thon and they paid him a lot of cash.
22. Cardinals : Jason Esposito , 3B , Vanderbilt
Esposito could be an absolute steal here, but I do see a chance he could slide to here.
23. Nationals (Adam Dunn) : Alex Dickerson , OF , Indiana
Dickerson isn't well rounded but his bat is a great asset. He just seems like a Nationals kind of player.
24. Rays (Carl Crawford) : Danny Hultzen , LHP , Virginia
Hultzen doesn't have a huge ceiling but is a likely 3rd starter long term. He would be a good player to add to themix as the Rays restock their system.
25. Padres : Jose Fernandez , RHP , Alonso HS, Tampa, FLA
Fernandez is an unusual pitcher as he is originally from Cuba, so the age may be a question here, but the arm isn't. He is a big physical righty with a durable build. He could move quickly once he signs and enters pro ball.
26. Red Sox (Adrian Beltre) : Mikie Mahtook , OF , Louisiana State
Mahtook is a great athlete who is just mashing this season. He could go earlier than this but I don't think he'd make it past the Sox.
27. Reds : Tyler Anderson , LHP , Oregon
Anderson has plus stuff from the left side. Polished college guys with some projection are right up the alley of the Reds.
28. Braves : Zach Cone , OF , Georgia
Cone is a potential 5 tool player in the Braves back yard. He could be a solid addition to the Braves future OF.
29. Giants : Alex Meyer , RHP , Kentucky
While the Giants have more talent in arms than players, it will be hard to pass up a big righty who has two plus pitches in his 96 MPH FB and a hammer curve.
30. Twins : Travis Harrison , OF/3B , Tustin (Calif.) HS
While the Twins stick with athletic outfielders and polished pitchers for the most part, it will be hard to pass on an athletic masher like Harrison. He is likely not a 3B in the long run, but his bat will play wherever he plays defensively.
31. Rays (Rafael Soriano) : Dillon Howard , RHP , Searcy (Ark.) HS
Howard is one of the more polished high school arms this season who already has a good feel for a change to go along with his plus slider and low 90's fastball that can hit 95. Another arm to add to the deep system.
32. Rays : Anthony Meo , RHP , Coastal Carolina
The Rays have a ton of picks this year and Meo may be a solid college arm to add to the mix and should sign for slot or even less.
33. Rangers (Cliff Lee) : Joshua Tobias , 2B , Southeast Guilford Greensboro NC
The Rangers are loaded up the middle and I think they could add this very good hitting middle infielder to add to their mix. He may need to move him to another position, but the bat will play.