2010 San Francisco Top 20 Prospects in Review
Here is a review of the 2010 Giants prospect list, originally published November 30, 2009. THIS IS A REVIEW OF THE OLD LIST AND PRE-SEASON GRADES. THIS IS NOT A NEW LIST. The 2011 list and new grades won't be ready until the season is over and I start writing the book.
1) Buster Posey, C, Grade A: .349/.442/.552 in Triple-A, .342/.389/.518 in the majors. I would say this qualifies as a successful debut.
2) Madison Bumgarner, LHP, Grade A-: 3.16 ERA, 59/22 K/BB in 83 innings, 88 hits in Triple-A. 3.20 ERA, 39/13 K/BB in 51 innings in the majors, 50 hits. Concerns about strikeouts/velocity have eased.
3) Thomas Neal, OF, Grade B: Warming up after a cold start, now hitting .295/.364/.439 for Double-A Richmond. Home park cuts into home run production.
4) Zack Wheeler, RHP, Grade B: 4.42 ERA, 45/25 K/BB, 2.59 GO/AO in 37 innings for Low-A Augusta. Needs to get the walks down and stay healthy, but K/IP and grounders are a strong combo.
5) Roger Kieschnick, OF, Grade B-: .251/.305/.368 for Richmond, on DL with back problems. Didn't show power on the road or at home. Plate discipline an issue.
6) Tommy Joseph, C, Grade B-: .233/.290/.403 for Augusta, 14 homers, 22 walks, 93 strikeouts in 352 at-bats. Power is interesting, needs to add polish, just 19.
7) Dan Runzler, LHP, Grade B-: 3.30 ERA, 32/19 K/BB in 30 innings, 27 hits for the Giants, 1.80 GO/AO. Needs to get the walks down but otherwise useful.
8) Waldis Joaquin, RHP, Grade B-: 3.04 ERA, 29/10 K/BB in 24 innings between Triple-A Fresno and AZL injury rehab. Hit hard in 4.2 major league innings. Will get more chances.
9) Jason Stoffel, RHP, Grade B-: 5.01 ERA, 55/16 K/BB in 41 innings for High-A San Jose, 43 hits, 1.48 GO/AO, 21 saves. I think he has the potential to improve a lot next year.
10) Francisco Peguero, OF, Grade B-: .314/.347/.477 for San Jose, 12 doubles, 14 triples, 37 steals, 16 walks, 70 strikeouts in 392 at-bats. Interesting mix of strengths and weaknesses.
11) Rafael Rodriguez, OF, Grade C+: .225/.276/.324 combined between Salem-Keizer and AZL Giants. Extremely raw tools guy, just 18.
12) Jose Casilla, RHP, Grade C+: 1.01 ERA, 35/14 K/BB in 45 innings for Augusta, 33 hits, 3.08 GO/AO. I love this profile.
13) Nick Noonan, 2B, Grade C+: .272/.316/.355 for Richmond, but this includes .322/.351/.411 mark in second half as bats on this team finally get going. Overall I'm not that impressed though; I think he ends up as a utility guy not a regular.
14) Aaron King, LHP, Grade C+: Got killed at San Jose, 7.57 ERA in 27 innings, 30/16 K/BB. Now at Salem-Keizer, pitching in relief, more control problems with 17 walks in 10 innings.
15) Henry Sosa, RHP, Grade C+: 3.84 ERA, 55/41 K/BB in 82 innings for Fresno, 71 hits but 13 homers allowed. Stock dropping, don't like the way his components are going.
16) Darren Ford, OF, Grade C+: .254/.318/.363 for Richmond, 31 steals, power limited. Hitting .337/.406/.453 in second half.
17) Clayton Tanner, LHP, Grade C+: 3.42 ERA, 64/48 K/BB in 124 innings for Richmond, 120 hits. 1.73 GO/AO, but I don't like the low strikeout rate.
18) Ehire Adrianza, SS, Grade C: .251/.329/.317 for San Jose, 26 steals. Not much of a bat, but defensive reviews are strong.
19) Conor Gillaspie, 3B, Grade C: Now up to .292/.341/.425 after a slow start for Richmond, includes .310/.356/.450 on the road. Shows more pop this year and defense has improved somewhat.
20) Brandon Crawford, SS, Grade C: .241/.337/.375 for Richmond, on DL with broken hand. Good defensive reviews.
21) Edwin Concepcion, RHP, Grade C: Egads, 7.42 ERA for Salem-Keizer, 40/32 K/BB in 44 innings, 45 hits. Serious control problems.
Giants fans have a lot to be happy about; Posey and Bumgarner have been great, and the bats at Richmond appear to be heating up. I'm not wild about the 2010 draft class though.