Colorado Rockies Top 20 PRE-SEASON Prospects in Review
This list was originally published December 17, 2008. This is a review of the PRE-SEASON list for 2009, not a revision of that list. This is a REVIEW of the old list. I'm not doing new grades or lists until I start working on the 2010 book.
1) Dexter Fowler, OF, Grade A-: Hitting .270/.372/.421 for the Rockies with 26 steals in 35 attempts. He can and will improve from this.
2) Jhoulys Chacin, RHP, Grade B+: 3.21 ERA with 97/48 K/BB in 118 innings between Double-A Tulsa and Triple-A Colorado Springs. Has gotten hit around a bit due to control problems in the majors but that's not unexpected.
3) Christian Friedrich, LHP, Grade B: 2.35 ERA with 157/43 K/BB in 119 innings between Class A Asheville and Class A Modesto, 91 hits allowed. Looks really good to me.
4) Wilin Rosario, C, Grade B-: Hit .266/.297/.404 in 58 games for Modesto. Not very impressive, with weak strike zone judgment a big issue. We'll have to see if he can improve in the Arizona Fall League.
5) Connor Graham, RHP, Grade B-: 3.14 ERA with 87/41 K/BB in 80 innings for Modesto. Traded to Cleveland, 5.13 ERA with 34/20 K/BB in 33 innings for Double-A Akron. Good stuff, shaky command.
6) Michael McKenry, C, Grade C+: .278/.375/.450 for Tulsa. Possible breakthrough guy for 2010.
7) Eric Young Jr, 2B-OF, Grade C+: .299/.387/.430 with 58 steals in 72 attempts for Triple-A Colorado Springs. Loads of speed, will take a walk.
8) Aneury Rodriguez, RHP, Grade C+: Traded to Tampa Bay. 4.50 ERA with 111/59 K/BB in 142 innings for Double-A Montgomery, 122 hits. OK numbers.
9) Casey Weathers, RHP, Grade C+: Rehabbing from Tommy John.
10) Charlie Blackmon, OF, Grade C+: .308/.370/.435 for Modesto, 27 steals in 40 attempts. Good tools, still putting his skills together.
11) Darin Holcomb, 3B, Grade C+: .272/.346/.414 with 52 walks, 49 strikeouts in 464 at-bats for Tulsa. Love his approach, but tools and power are marginal.
12) Will Harris, RHP, Grade C+: Rehabbing.
13) Dan Mayora, 2B, Grade C: .288/.351/.389 with 19 steals in 27 attempts for Tulsa. Good athleticism, bat may not do well at higher levels.
14) Hector Gomez, SS, Grade C: .274/.311/.418 in 81 games for Modesto. Like Mayora, good tools but marginal skills.
15) Seth Smith, OF, Grade C: Hitting .298/.392/.516 for the Rockies. I wish he'd get more regular playing time.
16) Chris Nelson, SS, Grade C: Hit .280/.355/.477 in 29 games for Tulsa before going on DL May 23rd.
17) Brandon Hynick, RHP, Grade C: 3.83 ERA with 92/48 K/BB in 155 innings for Colorado Springs, very strong for this environment. Just traded to White Sox.
18) Parker Frazier, RHP, Grade C: 4.48 ERA with 98/33 K/BB in 131 innings for Asheville, 158 hits. Throws strikes, projectable, but hittable at this stage.
19) Chaz Roe, RHP, Grade C: 3.13 ERA with 74/42 K/BB in 112 innings for Tulsa, 97 hits. Strikeout rate is lower than I'd like to see.
20) Delta Cleary, OF, Grade C: .257/.310/.377 with 31 steals in 42 attempts for Asheville. Raw and toolsy.
Fowler and Smith have provided a rookie boost to the major league outfield, while Chacin and Friedrich are a good one/two punch in upcoming pitching. After that things thin out fast, with several tools/projection players who haven't lived up to their potential yet. I like the talent mix in the 2009 draft and there is lots of room for players like Matzek and Brothers to rank in the next list.