The recycling bin of No. 1 Teams continues as Florida State dropped from the top spot despite a series win over Clemson.
We had a no hitter tossed this weekend. I won't say who yet but you might remember him playing a key role in Stony Brook's Cinderella run to the CWS in 2012.
1. Carlos Rodon - LHP - NC State (3)
2. Tyler Beede - RHP - Vanderbilt (4)
3. Jeff Hoffman - RHP - East Carolina (6)
4. Luke Weaver - RHP - Florida State (11)
5. Brad Zimmer - CF - San Francisco (12)
6. Michael Conforto - OF - Oregon State (13)
7. Aaron Nola - RHP - LSU (14)
8. Sean Newcomb - LHP - Hartford (15)
9. Kyle Schwarber - 1B/C - Indiana (17)
10. Trea Turner - SS - NC State (20)
11. Max Pentecost - C - Kennesaw State
12. Brandon Finnegan - LHP - TCU (23)
13. Derek Fisher - OF - Virginia (24)
14. Matt Chapman - 3B - Cal State Fullerton (27)
15. Alex Blandino - 3B - Stanford (29)
16. Andrew Suarez - LHP - Miami (33)
17. Matt Imhof - LHP - Cal Poly (43)
18. Erick Fedde - RHP - UNLV (44)
19. Zach Lemond - RHP - Rice (47)
20. Jordan Brink - RHP - Fresno State (48)
21. A.J. Reed - 1B/LHP - Kentucky (50)
On to the highlights...
Back to No. 1: Virginia
- The Cavaliers (19-4) have reclaimed the top ranking they held a month ago after taking the series
Upset Special: Maryland
- Let's here it for my Terps (16-6) who are looking like serious contenders for their first tourney bid in 43 years. They took down Carlos Rodon
with a storyline 10-0 win on Friday en route to a sweep
of No. 18 NC State
Prospect on the Rise: Daniel Gossett
- RHP - Clemson - According to Kendall Rogers of PG, Gossett was 93-96, still hitting a consistent 94 in the 8th in a Friday night win
over former No. 1 team, Florida State.
Rebuilding? Nah: Georgia Tech - After last weekend's impressive series win over Miami, the Yellow Jackets (15-9) made another statement with a road series win at North Carolina this weekend.
Conference play began in the conference of America and UCF (13-12) has grabbed a hold of the early division lead with a sweep of Cincinnati.
No. 19 Houston
(19-4) still carries the best overall record in the division. They picked up a nice sweep of College of Charleston and their Team ERA of 1.53
leads the nation. The Cougars could host a regional if they keep this up.
(Big West Highlights)
Best Team: No. 9 Cal Poly - The Mustangs (20-4) continue to outshine pre-season favorite Cal State Fullerton after picking up three-of-four wins at Cal over the weekend.
Entering the Polls: UC Santa Barbara - The Gauchos (17-3) have been on the cusp the last few weeks and make their debut a No. 26 after a 4-game sweep of Wagner.
Player Spotlight: Tyler Kuresa - 1B - The junior draft prospect hit THREE homers on Friday for the Gauchos. Have a game son.
Pitcher of the Week: Andrew Morales - RHP - UC Irvine - Tossed a shutout versus Grand Canyon.
(Big 12 Highlights)
Baylor (13-10) has the early division lead following a series win over No. 24 Oklahoma State.
Stock Up: Oklahoma - The Sooners (18-7) bumped up to No. 28 following a series win over Kansas State.
Nation's Best Lefty: Branden Finnegan - LHP - TCU - Finny continues to gain steam with scouts, posting his 5th double digit strikeout outing (vs Texas Tech) in six starts this season. He carries 1.44 ERA and has K'd a ridiculous 40% of batters faced.
Team to Beat: No. 16 Texas - The Longhorns (19-6) appear to be back as they are now the highest ranked team in the Big 12.
Ace of the Week: Zach Lemond - RHP - Rice - Another impressive outing (8.1 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 12 K) for Lemond, who carries a 1.06 ERA on the season and projects as a 2nd rounder, according to Keith Law.
Back In The Poll: Florida International - The Golden Panthers (20-4) return to the poll at No. 29 after a sweep of Marshall.
East Carolina (13-11) is tied with FIU for 2nd in C-USA play after their sweep of Charlotte. Jeff Hoffman: 7 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 2 K)
(Mid Major Highlights)
No-No Alert: Frankie Vanderka
- RHP - Stony Brook - College baseball fans remember this name from the 2012 tournament when he pitched the Seawolves to a win at LSU. He pitched the third no-hitter
of his college career this weekend against Albany.
Nation's ERA Leader: Sean Newcomb
- Hartford - LHP - He's a potential first rounder and has pitched like one against the inferior competition he faces in the America East, having yet to allow an ER in 32.2 innings pitched. Read about him here
, pre-season A-10 favorite, is tied with VCU for first after one weekend of conference play. Ace James Norwood
and his mid 90's arm pitched the Billikens (14-8) to a one-hit shutout
of Rhode Island.
Florida Gulf Coast
(16-8) swept USC-Upstate and Michael Murray
(8 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 10 K) won A-Sun Pitcher of the week
. Murray is 7th in the nation in strikeouts and could be a prospect on the rise.
Defending Big South champs, Liberty (18-7) is 9-1 over their last ten after sweeping High Point.
Rhys Hoskins went 4-for-4 with a HR, 2B, 3 RBI for Sacramento State on Saturday. He's considered the top prospect in the WAC, which contrary to popular belief still exists.
Best Mid-Major Team: No. 5 Louisiana-Lafayette - The Ragin Cajuns (22-2) now have the best record in the country and look like regional host material to me. Outfielder Seth Harrison went 3-for-5 with two HR on Saturday.
(15-9) picked up a statement win Friday night
at San Diego. They won again on Saturday to take over 1st in the WCC.
(Mountain West Highlights)
UNLV pick up a big win on Friday at San Diego State and moved into first with a series win. Ace Erick Fedde shined (9 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 12 K) and dialed his fastball 92-96 MPH according to BA.
New Mexico (16-8) is in 2nd place and the Lobos are 8-2 over their last ten games.
Top Dog: No. 7 Oregon - The Ducks are the highest ranked team in the Pac-12 after their sweep of Utah.
Man On A Mission: Ben Wetzler
- LHP - Oregon State - The Phillies unsigned 5th rounder
carries a miniscule 0.59 ERA on the season, picking up a win (7 IP 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 8 K) on Friday at Arizona State.
Stock Up: Washington
- The Huskies (16-5) are off to a surprising 5-1 start in Pac-12 play following a sweep of Arizona State. Senior Brandon Wolfe
was named Pac-12 hitter of the week.
Making A Statement: No. 15 Mississippi State - The most shocking result of Friday was perhaps the Bulldogs 17-2 win over Vanderbilt, considering Tyler Beede (2 IP, 6 H, 5 ER, 5 BB, 2 K) was on the mound and Vandy carries the 2nd best Team ERA in the nation.
No. 22 Kentucky (17-7) picked up a huge home series win over No. 4 South Carolina. The Wildcats lead the nation in runs scored and have me nervous about the Gamecocks chances of finishing in 1st in the SEC East.
No. 3 LSU (20-4) is now the highest ranked team in the SEC following their series win over Georgia.
(Photo Courtesy Of: Maryland Athletics)
Pitcher Of The Week: Jake Stinnett - RHP - Maryland
Scouts flock to see Carlos Rodon
wherever he's pitching, and that was at Maryland on Friday night. But, Stinnett stole the show with a sensational outing (8 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 14 K) in Maryland's statement 10-0 win over NC State. The Senior won his third ACC Pitcher of the Week honors already this season and has reportedly seen his fastball bump up a few ticks, touching mid 90's at times. As a signable Senior, he could find himself going as high as the 3rd-5th round range if he keeps this up. Here's a scouting report
from Friday night's game.
HM/ Zach Lemond - RHP - Rice, Guillermo Trujillo - RHP - Oral Roberts, Frankie Vanderka - RHP - Stony Brook, Brett Morales - RHP - UC Irvine, Michael Murray - RHP - FGCU, Ben Wetzler - LHP - Oregon State
(Photo Courtesy Of: William & Mary Athletics)
Hitter Of The Week: Michael Katz - 1B/OF - William & Mary
Meet the nation's home run leader. Katz
has been an offensive force for the Tribe lately and batted .667 with 3 HR, 2 doubles, and 12 RBI, and 9 runs scored over the weekend. What did you do to top that? Nothing. He's batting .427/.487/.864 with 12 HR and 50 RBI
in just 23 games. The 6'3, 220 pound junior could be a darkhorse Golden Spikes award candidate and figures to see his draft stock rise if he continues to mash like like this.
HM/ Joey Pankake - 3B - South Carolina, Brad Zimmer - OF - San Francisco, Rhys Hoskins - OF - Sacramento State, Seth Harrison - OF - ULL, Matt Chapman - 3B - Cal State Fullerton
That's all I got this week. Stay classy, not crassy