Good afternoon prospect watchers. I hope your weekend is proceeding as you have foreseen. Forward to business.
***Yesterday's Minor League Ball Gameday thread.
***Chris Owings of the Arizona Diamondbacks will be Prospect of the Day tomorrow. I did the David Ortiz Prospect Retrospective this morning, and am currently working on one for Yusmeiro Petit. As I mentioned yesterday, Zach Walters and Ehire Adrianza are also in the work queue.
***Good major league debut for Seattle Mariners prospect James Paxton yesterday: six innings, four hits, two runs, one walk, three strikeouts. That was the good version of Paxton, although he's capable of racking up more whiffs. It will be interesting to see if the bad version of Paxton shows up at any time the rest of this month. He didn't pitch that well for Tacoma in August, so it wasn't like he was on a roll recently.
***At age 28 he is too old to be a typical prospect, but Texas Rangers rookie outfielder Jim Adduci could be useful down the stretch. He's 3-for-7 with a walk since being promoted from Triple-A. The minor league vet hit .298/.381/.463 with 16 homers and 32 steals and 65 walks for Triple-A Round Rock before moving to the bigs. He runs well, can play all three outfield positions in addition to first base, set a career high in SLG this year, and has gradually improved his plate discipline. He was originally drafted by the Marlins in the 42nd round in 2003 from high school in Illinois. Adduci will always be on the margins, but a good September should increase his chances to land a bench job somewhere and I like to see guys like this get an opportunity.
***Today's schedule of minor league games.
More from Minor League Ball:
- Prospect Retrospective: David Ortiz
- Minor League Ball Gameday, September 7
- Minor League Ball Gameday, September 6
- Prospect Note: Josmil Pinto, C, Minnesota Twins
- Prospect of the Day: James Paxton, LHP, Seattle Mariners
- Minor League Ball Gameday, September 5
- Prospect of the Day: Brian Flynn, LHP, Miami Marlins
- The cost of a potential division title
- Minor League Ball Gameday, September 4
- Prospect Note: Christian Bethancourt, C, Atlanta Braves
- Prospect of the Day: Erik Johnson, RHP, Chicago White Sox
- Minor League Ball Gameday, September 3