Trayce Thompson - USA TODAY Sports
White Sox prospect Trayce Thompson and Mets prospect Steven Matz shine in Friday minor league playoff action.
Good afternoon prospect watchers. I hope your weekend is going well.
***In the work queue: Chris Owings of the Diamondbacks will be Prospect of the Day for Monday. After that I'm looking at Zach Walters of the Washington Nationals and Ehire Adrianza of the San Francisco Giants as worthy of some attention for either Prospect of the Day or Prospect Note reports.
Feel free to make other suggestions. I intend to do notes on the more obscure prospects who have been promoted for September.
The other major article in the queue is the Power/Speed Combo report.
***Yesterday's Minor League Ball Gameday thread.
***One guy who is going to get some attention here in the weeks to come is Steven Matz of the New York Mets system. He fanned eight in a playoff start for Low-A Savannah last night, showing off a mid-90s fastball and an effective curve. He was very successful during the regular season, with a 2.62 ERA and a 121/38 K/BB in 106 innings with 86 hits allowed. A second round pick in 2009, he didn't get his career going until '12 due to arm problems and Tommy John surgery, but he's been very sharp since getting back on the mound last summer.
***Chicago White Sox prospect Trayce Thompson went 3-for-5 with three RBI yesterday to lead the Double-A Birmingham Barons to a Southern League playoff victory over Cubs affiliate Tennessee Smokies. Thompson had a weird season this year, hitting .229/.321/.383 with 15 homers, 25 steals, 60 walks, and 139 strikeouts in 507 at-bats. His power/speed combination is quite potent and he made progress reducing his whiffs this year, although his overall rate of production did not improve; he lost 100 points of OPS compared to High-A. Still, he's got tools and is still just 22. Improvement is possible.
***Today's schedule of minor league games.
More from Minor League Ball:
- Minor League Ball Gameday, September 6
- Prospect Note: Josmil Pinto, C, Minnesota Twins
- Prospect of the Day: James Paxton, LHP, Seattle Mariners
- Minor League Ball Gameday, September 5
- Prospect of the Day: Brian Flynn, LHP, Miami Marlins
- The cost of a potential division title
- Minor League Ball Gameday, September 4
- Prospect Note: Christian Bethancourt, C, Atlanta Braves
- Prospect of the Day: Erik Johnson, RHP, Chicago White Sox
- Minor League Ball Gameday, September 3
- Prospect of the Day: Nick Castellanos, OF, Detroit Tigers
- Indians, Diamondbacks complete Jason Kubel trade with Matt Langwell