Good afternoon prospect watchers. Let's get down to business.
***Tomorrow's Prospect of the Day will be James Paxton of the Seattle Mariners, who is scheduled to start on Saturday. Other names in the queue include Chris Owings of the Arizona Diamondbacks and Josmil Pinto of the Minnesota Twins. I am also working on an article about top power/speed combo players in the minors, we'll call it the George Springer Project, which sounds like a progressive rock band from the 1970s I suppose.
***Yesterday's Minor League Ball Gameday thread.
***Tampa Bay Rays pitching prospect Jake Odorizzi was excellent last night in the first game of the International League playoffs, pitching seven shutout innings with nine strikeouts for the Durham Bulls against the Indianapolis Indians. He really has nothing left to prove in Triple-A, but how does he fit into Tampa's plans for 2014? Might he end up on the trade market yet again?
Here's some video of Odorizzi welcoming Pittsburgh Pirates prospect Gregory Polanco to Triple-A.
***Chicago Cubs prospect C.J. Edwards also put in a good post-season outing yesterday, throwing five hitless innings with eight strikeouts for High-A Daytona in their Florida State League playoff game against Dunedin. In the regular season he posted a 1.86 ERA with a 155/41 K/BB ratio in 116 innings, allowing just 76 hits and one homer, combined between Low-A Hickory and Daytona after his inclusion in the Matt Garza trade with the Texas Rangers.
***Today's minor league baseball playoff schedule.
More from Minor League Ball:
- Prospect of the Day: Brian Flynn, LHP, Miami Marlins
- The cost of a potential division title
- Minor League Ball Gameday, September 4
- Prospect Note: Christian Bethancourt, C, Atlanta Braves
- Prospect of the Day: Erik Johnson, RHP, Chicago White Sox
- Minor League Ball Gameday, September 3
- Prospect of the Day: Nick Castellanos, OF, Detroit Tigers
- Indians, Diamondbacks complete Jason Kubel trade with Matt Langwell
- Cardinals, Brewers complete Axford trade with Michael Blazek
- Minor League Ball Gameday, September 2
- Prospect Note: Abraham Almonte, OF, Seattle Mariners
- Prospect of the Day: Andrew Lambo, OF, Pittsburgh Pirates