Good afternoon prospect watchers. Down to business.
***Yesterday's Minor League Ball Gameday thread.
***Tomorrow's Prospect of the Day will be Stolmy Pimentel of the Pittsburgh Pirates.
***Baseball America named Minnesota Twins prospect Byron Buxton as their 2014 Minor League Player of the Year. I think you could make a good case for Houston Astros prospect George Springer or Xander Bogaerts of the Red Sox, but Buxton is outstanding and certainly worthy of the award. I agree that he is the top prospect in all of baseball, which isn't necessarily the same thing as being Minor League Player of the Year, but it is hard to argue given the amazing combination of tools and skills shown by Buxton this season.
***Great start yesterday from San Diego Padres prospect Matt Wisler in the Double-A Texas League championship series between the San Antonio Missions and the Arkansas Travelers: 6.2 shutout innings with six strikeouts in a 1-0 victory. This is a continuation of his brilliant pitching in August: he posted a 37/9 K/BB in his last 29 innings in the regular season, with a 1.86 ERA.
***New York Yankees prospect Mason Williams drove in three yesterday for Double-A Trenton in their Eastern League post-season win over Harrisburg. Nik Turley fanned 10 over six innings in an 8-2 victory in Game One of the championship series. Wiliams hit just .153 in 17 regular season games after being promoted to Trenton, with a horrible 1/18 BB/K ratio in 72 at-bats.
***The Salem Red Sox won the Carolina League championship. OvertheMonster has the rundown.
***Jesse at Twinkietown has a look at ten pitching prospects in the Minnesota Twins system who could make some noise in 2014. I particularly agree with his mention of Lewis Thorpe and Felix Jorge.
***Over at Bleed Cubbie Blue, Tim Huwe looks at the development of left-handed pitchers.
More from Minor League Ball:
- The Yusmeiro Petit Experience
- Prospect of the Day: J.R Murphy, C, New York Yankees
- Minor League Ball Gameday, September 10
- PCL Championship Series preview
- Prospect Note: Ehire Adrianza, SS, San Francisco Giants
- Prospect of the Day: Cody Asche, 3B, Philadelphia Phillies
- Leaving the predictions to others
- Minor League Ball Gameday, September 9
- Gorkys Hernandez finishes his season with a bang
- Prospect of the Day: Chris Owings, SS, Arizona Diamondbacks
- Minor League Ball Gameday, September 8
- Prospect Retrospective: David Ortiz