Good afternoon prospect watchers. As promised, I got the reports on Carlos Correa and Mark Appel posted this morning, and I am now working on observations for other players on the Quad Cities and Burlington rosters. In the meantime, here is your daily discussion thread.
***Yesterday's Minor League Ball Gameday thread.
***Boston Red Sox outfield prospect Bryce Brentz has made a faster-than-expected recovery from knee surgery. It was anticipated that he would miss the rest of the season after getting hurt in July, but he's back in action at Triple-A Pawtucket and hit a home run in his first game back yesterday.
***Toronto Blue Jays prospect Deck McGuire took a perfect game into the seventh inning yesterday for Double-A New Hampshire, finishing with two hits, two runs, a walk, and seven strikeouts in the game. This lowered his ERA to 4.96 on the season with a 136/55 K/BB in 151 innings. The former Georgia Tech ace and 2010 first round pick has fallen well down the prospect charts with a pair of disappointing Double-A campaigns, although he's been more effective of late. Although he's shown the ability to eat innings, if you can't keep your ERA below 4.00 in the Eastern League, you're going to have a very tough time in the AL East. McGuire has always been a starter, but he strikes me as the type of pitcher who might be more dominant in shorter stretches. I'd think about moving him to relief.
***The San Diego Padres promoted outfield prospect Reymond Fuentes to the major leagues today. I will add him to the upcoming Prospect of the Day list. Fuentes was hitting .330/.414/.448 combined between Double-A San Antonio and Triple-A Tucson, with 35 stolen bases.
***Today's schedule of minor league games.
***Jason Hunt has more on Mark Appel at Faketeams.com.
More from Minor League Ball:
- Observations of Carlos Correa
- Observations of Mark Appel
- Is scorekeeping a dying art?
- Minor League Ball Gameday, August 25
- Minor League Ball Gameday, August 24
- Community Discussion: Who is your secret Top 100 candidate?
- Minor League Ball Gameday, August 23
- Prospect of the Day: Max Stassi, C, Houston Astros
- Prospect Retrospective: Jay Bruce
- Technology, hidden tarps and Tucson's last stand
- Minor League Ball Gameday, August 22
- The 2012 MLB Draft: Where are they now?