Sharing the minor league gospel

Enthusiastic fans in Omaha showing their support - Minda Haas

According to MiLB.com, more than 41 million fans attended games in 2013, an increase of nearly 275,000 over 2012. But as I talk to friends who are MLB fans, many seem indifferent to MiLB.

I don't know many people, apart from Twitter, who follow the minor leagues. That pains me.

Sure, the minor leagues are full of has-beens and never-will-bes. And many, if not most, will never make the Show. But, as I pointed out to a friend recently, MLB needs MiLB. Before you say it, I know Mike Leake and Xavier Nady and a short list of other players went straight to the big leagues without playing in the minors, but only two players who have done it in the last 14 seasons.

So, the minor leagues are necessary.

My friend says he'll learn about major league rookies as they arrive and he doesn't care to follow the other players who may never get a shot.

But, he's missing so much.

He's missing the storylines inherent in the has-beens, and the never-will-bes. He's also missing the back story of the maybes and the journey of future stars.

With that said, maybe my concern is simply anecdotal. According to MiLB.com, more than 41 million fans attended games in 2013, an increase of nearly 275,000 over 2012. The same article says MiLB has drawn more than 41 million fans every season for nearly a decade.

So, maybe the game really is in good shape.

I do wonder though if the 85 percent who attend to soak up a little sun and enjoy the social aspect of the game is a higher number than it used to be. And if it is, are the other 15 percent (the diehards) doing our part to share the minor league gospel to reach more potential fans?

What is your experience with friends when you mention a minor league team or player? Do they shoo you away because the Yankees and Red Sox game is on, again? Or do they get it?

In This Article

Teams
Players
X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join Minor League Ball

You must be a member of Minor League Ball to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Minor League Ball. You should read them.

Join Minor League Ball

You must be a member of Minor League Ball to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Minor League Ball. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_9351_tracker