2012 Baseball Draft: Performance Update on 12th Round Picks
We continue this morning with the well-liked series of draft reviews, today with an update on players drafted in the 12th round. By popular demand, I'll keep this going into the teen rounds to pick up the overslot draftees.
369) Terrell Joyce, OF, Houston Astros: Slot bonus ($100,000) for junior college outfielder.
Hit .273/.332/.432 with seven homers, 19 walks, 66 strikeouts in 220 at-bats for Greenville in the Appalachian League. Bat has potential if he can get the whiffs under control.
370) Alex Muren, RHP, Minnesota Twins: Posted 1.46 ERA with 12/9 K/BB in 25 innings for GCL Twins, 12 hits and four saves. Pitched decently but was old for the level at age 21, slot bonus college pitcher, good arm but lacks a breaking ball.
371) Mike Faulkner, OF, Seattle Mariners: Slot bonus college outfielder, very fast, zero power, hit .255/.333/.261 with one double, 19 walks, 22 strikeouts in 188 at-bats for Everett in the Northwest League, 15-for-20 in steals. He can scoot, but can he hit? Age 21.
372) Billy Waltrip, LHP, Baltimore Orioles: Promising junior college pitcher didn't sign, off to University of Oklahoma for 2013.
373) Jackson Willeford, 2B, Kansas City Royals: High school second baseman with solid bat didn't sign, going to University of Arizona.
374) Justin Amlung, RHP, Chicago Cubs: Slot bonus college pitcher, 4.00 ERA with 12/5 K/BB in 18 innings, 21 hits between AZL Cubs and Boise in Northwest League. Low 90s fastball, OK slider, throws strikes. Age 22.
375) Drew Harrelson, LHP, San Diego Padres: 5.73 ERA with 8/6 K/BB in 11 innings for AZL Padres, 14 hits. Sample doesn't mean anything at this stage, especially at age 18. Slot bonus high school pitcher from Georgia, ultra-projectable at 6-6, 185.
376) Dalton Friend, LHP, Pittsburgh Pirates: Solid so far, 2.45 ERA with 34/8 K/BB in 40 innings for State College in the New York-Penn League, 36 hits, 2.00 GO/AO. Slot bonus junior college pitcher from Missouri, age 22. History of shoulder problems, but could be a bargain if he stays healthy.
377) Christian Rivera, SS, Miami Marlins: Slot bonus high school kid from Puerto Rico, hit .215/.388/.278 with 20 walks, 24 strikeouts in 79 at-bats for GCL Marlins, made 10 errors in 28 games. Raw, needs work on both sides of the ball, but he draws some walks at least. Age 18.
378) Correlle Prime, 1B, Colorado Rockies: Florida high school first baseman, signed slightly over slot ($125,000). Hit .276/.373/.350 with 18 walks, 33 strikeouts in 123 at-bats for Grand Junction in the Pioneer League, not great but he's just 18. Name sounds like a planet in the Gamma Quadrant.
379) John Caputo, 1B, Oakland Athletics: Canadian high school kid didn't sign, will go to college at Stony Brook.
380) Robert Whalen, RHP, New York Mets: Slot bonus for Florida high school pitcher, threw one pro innings for Kingsport in the Appy League. Low 90s fastball, but needs a breaking ball, lacks physical projection with stocky build, age 18.
381) Zach Stoner, 1B, Chicago White Sox: High school first baseman from Illinois, signed for well over slot ($180,000), couldn't hit rookie ball pitching, .171/.327/.195 with 15 walks, 34 strikeouts in 82 at-bats for Bristol in the Pioneer League. Age 18. He'll take a walk at least.
382) Brent Peterson, SS, Cincinnati Reds: Slot bonus for junior college infielder, hit .291/.377/.383 with 15 walks, 29 strikeouts, 15-for-20 in steals in 141 at-bats for AZL Reds. Age 19. Raw with the glove, but offense has some promise.
383) Jeremy Lucas, C, Cleveland Indians: Slot bonus college catcher, hit .250/.364/.386 with 16 walks, 14 strikeouts in 88 at-bats for Mahoning Valley in the NY-P, threw out 21% of runners. Adequate receiver who avoids mistakes but doesn't wow with tools. Age 21.
384) Carlos Lopez, 1B, Washington Nationals: Below slot bonus college first baseman, solid slugger at Wake Forest but didn't repeat success as a pro, .253/.332/.376 with three homers, 20 walks, 50 strikeouts in 170 at-bats for Auburn in the NY-P. Age 22.
385) Ryan Kellogg, LHP, Toronto Blue Jays: Impressive and projectable Canadian lefty didn't sign, going to college at Arizona State.
386) James Campbell, RHP, Los Angeles Dodgers: Slot bonus college pitcher, 3.86 ERA with 18/9 K/BB in 19 innings between Ogden in the Pioneer League and Great Lakes in the Midwest League. Age 21, generic middle relief type but you need those guys.
387) Zach Wright, C, Los Angeles Angels: Hit .268/.385/.419 with 28 walks, 38 strikeouts in 179 at-bats for Cedar Rapids in the Low-A Midwest League, threw out 30% of runners. Solid debut jumping from college to Low-A. Age 22, below slot college catcher.
388) Jeremy Sy, SS, San Francisco Giants: Didn't play after signing. Age 22, college shortstop from Louisiana Monroe.
389) Connor Lien, OF, Atlanta Braves: High school outfielder from Florida, large overslot bonus ($375,000) on basis of physical tools, especially speed and arm strength. Didn't hit in rookie ball, .228/.352/.282 with 19 walks, 49 strikeouts in 149 at-bats, 15-for-18 in steals. Age 18, has time to mature.
390) Max Foody, LHP, St. Louis Cardinals: Overslot ($385,000) for Florida high school lefty, signed away from Florida State, got killed in rookie ball, 11.57 ERA with 18/16 K/BB in 16 innings, 29 hits. Got some grounders at least, 2.22 GO/AO. Already 19.
391) Mike Meyers, SS, Boston Red Sox: Slot bonus high school infielder from Las Vegas, hit .337/.384/.478 with seven walks, 36 strikeouts in 92 at-bats in the GCL. Good slash line, but poor BB/K ratio. Age 18, worth watching.
392) Taylor Hawkins, C, Tampa Bay Rays: Raw high schooler from Oklahoma, hit .182/.211/.218 with two walks, 24 strikeouts in 55 at-bats in the GCL, couldn't make contact. Overslot bonus at $275,000. Age 18.
393) Alex Glenn, OF, Arizona Diamondbacks: Age 21, slot bonus small college outfielder, hit .257/.360/.514 with 10 homers, 25 walks, 59 strikeouts in 183 at-bats between AZL and Missoula in the Pioneer League. Good power, but K-rate is bothersome.
394) Julio Felix, RHP, Detroit Tigers: Slot bonus junior college pitcher, short (5-10) but throws hard, 4.11 ERA with 29/8 K/BB in 35 innings for GCL Tigers, 29 hits, 2.04
GO/AO. Age 20.
395) Eric Semmelhack, RHP, Milwaukee Brewers: Local talent from Wisconsin-Miwaukee, slot guy with some arm strength, age 21. 1.02 ERA with 20/9 K/BB in 31 innings for Helena in the Pioneer League, but 6.16 ERA with 22/15 K/BB in 31 innings for Wisconsin in the Midwest League. Has some issues with secondary pitches.
396) Keone Kela, RHP, Texas Rangers: Slot bonus junior college pitcher, throws hard, relief profile, effective so far with a 1.59 ERA, 15/4 K/BB in 11 innings in the AZL, just four hits. Age 19.
397) Chris Breen, C, New York Yankees: Florida high school catcher, hit .274/.308/.369 with three walks, 17 strikeouts in 84 at-bats in the GCL, threw out 23%, age 18. Slot bonus, good reputation as an athlete.
398) Zach Taylor, OF, Philadelphia Phillies: Small college guy from Armstrong Atlantic, didn't hit in pro ball, .170/.254/.268 with 10 walks, 33 strikeouts in 112 at-bats between the GCL and NY-P. Age 21.