This will be my last MOCK, these are fun and I respect everyone's opinion, as this is an opinionated business and from the info I have gathered as an evaluator and friend of many ML people in know, this is the latest 1st Round predictions that I will conduct until the 2013 stuff starts to come up!! Best of luck to everyone's team and best of luck to the scouts who frequent this board from time to time.
- Mark Appel, RHP, Stanford, really coming on late this spring, and has the better breaking pitch and repetetoire of available college/HS pitchers. No clear cut #1 overall this year, but hard not to take a college pitcher not far from developing into a starting pitcher in the ML and also from local area.
- Kevin Gausman, RHP LSU, hard for T Ryan and the club to pass on one of the better arms on the board this year.
-Byron Buxton, OF - Appling Co HS, Ga.
- Carlos Correa, SS, Puerto Rico (I know Machado is in the O's plans, but you can never have enough 5 tool players, especially young ones that could play another position in the future)
- Mike Zunino, C, Florida (would not be surprised if he goes higher than this pick but he is one of the TOP 5 any where in the country)
- Kyle Zimmer, RHP, U of San Fran (we have to remember, he didn't take on pitching until the last 3 years seriously and he does need some fine tuning, but he's got a great arm and trajectory of his pitches)
- Michael Wacha, RHP, Texas A&M, one of the more polished pitchers in the college ranks and he's not overpowering by velocity standards but in the low 90's with a phenomenal change up and hard downer breaking ball, he has 3 pitches that are better than many front line starters currently in the ML.
- Max Fried, LHP, Harvard-Westlake, (Smith and his team really love this kid and they need lefties in the system and Max will move along nicely with this club, or another club for that matter, he does need to do some refining, but he's not far away from ML)
- Lance McCullers, RHP - Jesuit HS, Tampa FL (I'm sold they take a kid from FL and Lance Jr has a rocket for an arm and loves baseball and competition, he gets better up the ladder).
- Courtney Hawkins, OF, Carroll HS, Corpus Christi, TX
- Marcus Stroman, RHP, Duke (I would not be surprised if he goes higher than this pick, but A's love this kid's makeup and SABER numbers, and Marcus is electric out of the pen which will be his calling IMHO (Tom Gordon
- Albert Almora, CF, Mater HS, FL (A baseball diamond rat that fits the profile of what the Mets want, but they also want catching, too bad not many catchers better than Almora in this spot though, perhaps the comp round will give the Mets a catching prospect?)
- Richie Shaffer, 3b, Clemson (This club loves this kid and the Pale Hose can use a third sacker, and Ventura loves this kid as well).
- Ty Hensley, Santa Fe HS, Oklahoma
- Andrew Heaney, LHP - Oklahoma St
- Chris Stratton, RHP - Miss St (moving up boards with his durability and holding fb into latter innings at 91-94, also great makeup!)
- Gavin Cecchini, SS, Barbe HS, LA
- Nick Giolito, RHP - Harvard-Westlake HS, CA (Dodgers won't let this kid go, even with be shutting down early in the year, they will allow him to get healthy and with this kids workout regime, he'll be a steal in the draft, as many clubs cooled off with the amount of money allowed to be spent and the gamble on a HS arm that was injured, but give Gio time and he'll warrant this pick solidly)
for Pujols) - RHP/3B, Joey Gallo, Gorman HS, Las Vegas (Game on the arm or the power? He's young and he has time to develop)
- Steve Piscotty, 3b/Of - Stanford (If he doesn't make it as a hitter, he'll be a great closer candidate)
- Lucas Sims, RHP - Brookwood HS, GA (Braves don't let many kids in their homestate get away, ala, Heyward, McCann)
22.)Blue Jays (failed to sign Beede) - DJ Davis, OF, Stone HS, Mississippi, (Jays need speed to go along with their thumpers, and this kid is quicker than a 'rabbit' and has a quick bat, he's a bit stronger at this stage than when the Twins took Revere out of Kentucky HS ranks, DJ is signable and has a great face for the game, meaning he loves it and gives 100%, ran sub 4 home to first for me last week!)
23.)Cardinals - Zach Eflin, Hagerty HS, FL, had figured he would go earlier to White Sox in previous Mock - errored and duplicated Cecchini here, my bad, (Cards like tall righties with upside and Weickel is pretty polished and has a very good cb and learning everyday, should develop quickly for this club as well to go with Miller, Wainwright, Garcia in future and replace Westbrook)
- David Dahl,OF - Oak Mountain HS, ALA (Sox have a few picks in the top 100, and this kid profiles well for them, but he'll have to move to LF with Jacoby in CF).
- Travis Jankowski, OF - Stony Brook (Will be a steal in this draft and he's better than Rocco Baldelli
was in HS).
- Ty Buttrey, RHP, Providence Catholic HS, Charlotte NC
for Fielder) - Walker Weickel, RHP - Olympia HS, Orlando FL
28.)Brewers -Corey Seagar, NW Cabarrus HS, NC (signability was a big concern, but this kid wants to play and he'll fill out his frame and be one of the better hitters to come out of NC in a long time, including Wil Myers
- Deven Marrero, SS - Arizona St (Wow, have the mighty have fallen, Deven was talked about being in top 10 going into this year, but he still remains a solid pick and you won't find a better fielding prospect other than Cecchini, and Deven will hit enough to make a contribution for the Rangers or any club that takes him. He competes well and can play "D" and doesn't have to move off of SS)
- Dylan Baker, RHP, Western Nevada CC (Dominating with fb in mid 90's and a late bloomer, hailing from Alaska)
31.)Boston - Lewis Brinson, OF - Coral Springs FL, (torn between this kid who has great upside and is a mini version of Dave Winfield from the ol' U of Minny days, Nick Travieso and Duane Underwood who's gotten great play of late, but appears to compete when the competition is fierce and when people hit him, he appears to get ruffled a bit, but he can bring it up to 97, very unrefined pitcher, Travieso however could be a potential carbon copy of Papelbon, a very good closer candidate with his stuff)
I wasn't able to edit while on mobile, so I got this done later, so I apologize for any duplications before the final edit! Thanks everyone!