PHOENIX, AZ - JULY 10: World Future's All-Star Liam Hendriks of the Minnesota Twins throws a pitch against the U.S. team during the 2011 XM All-Star Futures Game at Chase Field on July 10, 2011 in Phoenix, Arizona. (Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images)
Minnesota Twins Top 20 PRE-SEASON Prospects in Review
I am reviewing my PRE-SEASON list of Top 20 prospects for 2011 for each organization, continuing this evening with the Minnesota Twins. This list was originally published October 16, 2010. We will look at the Cincinnati Reds and Detroit Tigers this weekend, followed by the Atlanta Braves on Monday.
This is a review of the 2011 Pre-Season Top 20 list. IT IS NOT A NEW LIST.
The 2012 list and new grades won't be ready until the season is over and I start writing the book.
1) Kyle Gibson, RHP, Grade B+: 4.81 ERA with 91/27 K/BB in 95 innings for Triple-A Rochester, 109 hits, 1.94 GO/AO. Has slowed down lately, hit hard in last few starts after a good beginning.
2) Alex Wimmers, RHP, Grade B+: Walked six guys and got nobody out in his first start, went on the DL for a "flu-like illness" and to rebuild his mechanics. Back in action late this month, looks OK so far, have to keep fingers crossed here.
3) Aaron Hicks, OF, Grade B+: Hitting .251/.359/.379 with 57 walks, 85 strikeouts in 335 at-bats for High-
A Fort Myers, 11 steals. Still has all the tools, draws walks, power remains sketchy.
4) Miguel Sano, 3B, Grade B: Hitting .285/.333/.549, 11 walks, 40 strikeouts in 144 at-bats for rookie-level Elizabethton. Excellent power, strikes out a lot, very young at age 18.
5) Liam Hendriks, RHP, Grade B: 2.70 ERA, 81/18 K/BB in 90 innings for Double-A New Britain. Just promoted to Triple-A, 3.55 ERA with 6/1 K/BB in 13 innings so far. Impressive season, great command.
6) Ben Revere, OF, Grade B: .303/.338/.364 in Triple-A. Hitting .249/.294/.283 with 14 walks, 22 strikeouts, 16 steals in 237 at-bats for the Twins. No power, but speed is his game.
7) Oswaldo Arcia, OF, Grade B: .352/.420/.704 in 71 at-bats for Low-A Beloit, then .275/.299/.431 with four walks and 26 strikeouts in 102 at-bats for Fort Myers. Like the pop, plate discipline needs work.
8) Billy Bullock, RHP, Grade B-: Traded to Braves. 5.45 ERA with 56/25 K/BB in 40 innings for Double-A Mississippi, 30 hits. Very good stuff, command needs a lot of work.
9) Adrian Salcedo, RHP, Grade B-: 2.94 ERA, 75/25 K/BB in 116 innings for Beloit, 110 hits, 1.36 GO/AO. Terrific command, as expected, would like to see more Ks.
10) Max Kepler-Rozycki, OF, Grade B-: .253/.339/.374 with 13 walks, 28 strikeouts in 99 at-bats for Elizabethton. Drawing some walks, no power yet, young at 18, lots of tools.
11) Joe Benson, OF, Grade C+: .292/.385/.479 with 10 steals, 31 walks, 73 strikeouts in 267 at-bats for New Britain. Good power/speed combination, drawing some walks, strikeout rate remains high.
12) David Bromberg, RHP, Grade C+: Just came off the DL today after missing most of the season with a broken forearm. 26 innings for New Britain, 14/6 K/BB, 30 hits, 3.76 ERA. Need more data.
13) Carlos Gutierrez, RHP, Grade C+: On DL. Before getting hurt, had 3.88 ERA with 38/25 K/BB and 3.74 GO/AO in 49 innings for Rochester. Picks up tons of grounders with sinker/slider combo.
14) Angel Morales, OF, Grade C+: Injured all year with elbow problems, just came off DL, 2-for-14 with five strikeouts so far for Fort Myers. Obviously need more data.
15) Manuel Soliman, RHP, Grade C+: 3.87 ERA, 96/40 K/BB in 100 innings for Beloit, 94 hits. Needs some command refinements, but holding his own.
16) Eddie Rosario, OF, Grade C+: Hitting .324/.385/.662 with 14 walks, 35 strikeouts, eight steals in 142 at-bats for Elizabethton. I love this guy, stock moving up fast, 11 homers already.
17) Nate Roberts, OF, Grade C+: .295/.434/.415 for Beloit, 23 walks, 41 strikeouts, nine steals in 200 at-bats. On-base expert, home run power has been less than I expected.
18) Tom Stuifbergen, RHP, Grade C+: 3.65 ERA with 60/15 K/BB in 89 innings for Fort Myers, 114 hits. Very low walk rate, but very hittable.
19) Kane Holbrooks, RHP, Grade C+: 4.87 ERA, 47/26 K/BB in 94 innings for Fort Myers, 122 hits. I thought he was a big sleeper but he hasn't done much.
20) B.J. Hermsen, RHP, Grade C+: 3.00 ERA with 72/29 K/BB in 111 innings for Beloit, 116 hits. Another guy who throws strikes with ease but doesn't have impressive K/IP ratios and gives up some hits.
21) Bruce Pugh, RHP, Grade C+: 4.15 ERA with 43/10 K/BB in 35 innings for Fort Myers, 12 saves. 9.00 ERA with 16/15 K/BB in 16 innings for New Britain. Struggling with Double-A transition due to control problems.
22) Pat Dean, LHP, Grade C+: 2.86 ERA with 37/9 K/BB in 44 innings for Beloit, 5.85 ERA with 19/9 K/BB in 32 innings for Fort Myers, 41 hits. Another strike-thrower.
At this point, the thing I'm keeping closest track of his Alex Wimmers' recovery from whatever went wrong this spring. The Twins have their usual collection of strike-throwers. Eddie Rosario is going to rank a lot higher next year.