2010 Top 20 New York Mets Prospect List in Review
Here is a review of the 2010 Mets prospect list, originally published January 8, 2010. THIS IS A REVIEW OF THE OLD LIST AND PRE-SEASON GRADES. THIS IS NOT A NEW LIST. The 2011 list and new grades won't be ready until the season is over and I start writing the book.
1) Jenrry Mejia, RHP, Grade B+: Back in the minors on rehab for a strained shoulder, after spending most of the spring in New York, 3.25 ERA with the Mets, 17/15 K/BB in 28 innings, 29 hits. He held his own before getting hurt, but I still think it was stupid for him to be on the major league roster this year.
2) Wilmer Flores, SS, Grade B+: .291/.335/.432 for Low-A Savannah and High-A St. Lucie. He doesn't turn 19 until tomorrow...made huge progress this year.
3) Fernando Martinez, OF, Grade B+: .255/.322/.465 for Triple-A Buffalo, hampered by injuries again though he sustained power from last year. Needs better plate discipline. Still just 21. . .
4) Ike Davis, 1B, Grade B: .249/.324/.438 with 15 homers in 94 games for the Mets. Has held his own, especially considering just 10 games of Triple-A under his belt.
5) Jon Niese, LHP, Grade B: 3.78 ERA, 86/37 K/BB in 112 innings for the Mets, 120 hits. A highly competent starting pitcher with a chance to get a lot better in my opinion.
6) Reese Havens, SS, Grade B-: Hit great for St. Lucie and Binghamton (.312/.386/.592) but limited to 32 games by an oblique injury. I like him a lot, if he can stay healthy.
7) Kyle Allen, RHP, Grade B-: 5.03 ERA, 52/53 K/BB in 98 innings for St. Lucie, 99 hits. I thought he was a major breakthrough candidate, but he's been pretty awful, with significant command problems.
8) Jeurys Familia, RHP, Grade B-: 6.30 ERA for St. Lucie, 83/62 K/BB in 84 innings, 85 hits. Like Allen, he's gone backwards. Good strikeout rate, but getting killed by walks.
9) Brad Holt, RHP, Grade C+: Got annihilated in Double-A, and not much better after going back to St. Lucie. 7.71 ERA with 60/49 K/BB in 70 innings, 84 hits. Secondary pitches have regressed, command is fouled up too.
10) Ruben Tejada, INF, Grade C+: .279/.326/.344 in 64 games in Triple-A, .212/.297/.250 in 35 major league games. Very young at age 20 and I still think he can develop.
11) Kirk Nieuwenhuis, OF, Grade C+: .292/.340/.515, 16 homers, 13 steals, 30 walks, 92 strikeouts in 390 at-bats in Double-A. Solid across the board, main worry is high strikeout rate.
12) Eric Niesen, LHP, Grade C+: 4.83 ERA, 45/49 K/BB in 60 innings in Double-A, 57 hits. Another live arm undone by command problems.
13) Jefry Marte, 3B, Grade C+: .264/.333/.401 for Low-A Savannah. Not awful, not great, just 19 years old. Currently out with a bad hamstring.
14) Cesar Puello, OF, Grade C: .293/.377/.363 with 44 steals in 53 attempts for Savannah. Loads of speed, plate discipline is so-so, lacks power, just 19 years old.
15) Josh Thole, C, Grade C: .267/.353/.430 for Buffalo, .294/.400/.373 in the majors. I think he's a .260-.280 hitter with a decent OBP but no power.
16) Juan Urbina, LHP, Grade C: 5.76 ERA with 28/11 K/BB in 30 innings in rookie ball, 32 hits. Just 17 years old, much too early to conclude anything.
17) Steve Matz, LHP, Grade C: Out with Tommy John.
18) Brent Rustich, RHP, Grade C: Just 13 innings pitched this year between GCL rehab and St. Lucie, 5.40 ERA, 10/7 K/BB.
19) Tobi Stoner, RHP, Grade C: 6.07 ERA with 79/41 K/BB in 116 innings in Triple-A, 150 hits. Awful awful awful.
20) Dillon Gee, RHP, Grade C: 4.88 ERA, 123/30 K/BB in 127 innings for Buffalo, 135 hits. Good K/BB ratio, good strikeout rate, I think he's pitched better than the ERA although his home run rate is rather high.
Major league contributions from Niese and Davis were good to see, and Flores has taken a large leap forward with his skills. But I don't like the way Mejia was handled, and most of the pitchers on this list have been big disappointments.