2010 Milwaukee Brewers Top 20 Prospects in Review
Here is a review of the 2010 Brewers prospect list, originally published January 4, 2010. THIS IS A REVIEW OF THE OLD LIST AND PRE-SEASON GRADES. THIS IS NOT A NEW LIST. The 2011 list and new grades won't be ready until the season is over and I start writing the book.
1) Brett Lawrie, 2B, Grade B+: .291/.352/.470 for Double-A Huntsville, 28 steals in 40 attempts. He has some flaws, but also has a broad range of skills and is young for the level at 20. Defense improving. One of my favorites.
2) Alcides Escobar, SS, Grade B+: .253/.306/.345 in 105 games for the Brewers, -.3 WAR with average defense according to UZR. I'd be interested in the impressions of Milwaukee fans who get to see his glove every day.
3) Eric Arnett, RHP, Grade B: 6.85 ERA, 75/40 K/BB in 93 innings, 112 hits between Low-A Wisconsin and a "fix the mechanics" trip to the Arizona Rookie League. He's still getting killed. I wonder if there is an underlying physical problem here. Stock obviously way down.
4) Jonathan Lucroy, C, Grade B: .311/.349/.418 between Double-A and Triple-A Nashville, .265/.301/.348 in 41 major league games with weak plate discipline. I think he is capable of better.
5) Mat Gamel, 3B, Grade B-: .305/.387/.478 combined between Triple-A Nashville (65 games) and 14 games on rehab in High-A and Double-A. The guy can hit, but where does he play?
6) Kentrail Davis, OF, Grade B-: Slow start at High-A Brevard County, .244/.380/.341 in 33 games. Currently hitting .345/.430/.531 in 39 games for Low-A Wisconsin.The latter numbers are closer to what the Brewers expected, and plate discipline has been excellent at the lower level...will try again in High-A next year.
7) Jake Odorizzi, RHP, Grade B-: 3.21 ERA, 117/35 K/BB in 104 innings for Wisconsin, 85 hits. I love this guy, strong numbers, scouting reports are very positive.
8) Wily Peralta, RHP, Grade B-: 3.86 ERA for Brevard County, 75/40 K/BB in 105 innings, 102 hits. Just promoted to Double-A, 2.20 ERA so far with 10/8 K/BB in 16 innings will need to sharpen command. 1.55 GO/AO combined. I like him too although not as much as Odorizzi.
9) Cody Scarpetta, RHP, Grade B-: 3.58 ERA, 124/58 K/BB in 106 innings, 94 hits for Brevard County. A very solid campaign.
10) Kyle Heckathorn, RHP, Grade B-: 2.91 ERA combined between Wisconsin and Brevard County, 75/30 K/BB in 105 innings, 100 hits, 1.90 GO/AO. I'd like a somewhat higher strikeout rate, but the grounders are nice and he's thrown strikes.
11) Zach Braddock, LHP, Grade C+: 3.57 ERA in 23 major league innings, 26/11 K/BB, 23 hits. He's done decently in limited action, has had some shoulder trouble.
12) Josh Butler, RHP, Grade C+: 4.56 ERA in 53 innings for Huntsville, 36/26 K/BB, 56 hits. Promoted to Triple-A recently, has given up 30 hits and 16 runs in 22 innings, 15/10 K/BB. Not a good year.
13) Lorenzo Cain, OF, Grade C+: .317/.402/.432 with 26 steals in 29 attempts in Double-A and Triple-A, 9-for-19 (.474) in the majors. The tools have always been here, but he's healthy this year and has picked up some plate discipline.
14) Angel Salome, C, Grade C+: .278/.326/.418 in 42 games for Brevard County. Mostly DH and says he wants to learn the outfield. He's had personal problems this year; status very unclear right now.
15) Amaury Rivas, RHP, Grade C+: 3.21 ERA in 21 starts for Huntsville, 95/41 K/BB in 121 innings, 109 hits, 1.55 GO/AO. Looks like a fine year to me.
16) Eric Farris, 2B, Grade C+: .289/.325/.373 in 37 games for Nashville, eight steals. Missed most of the season with undisclosed injury. Hard to know what to make of this.
17) Caleb Gindl, OF, Grade C+: .269/.347/.393 for Huntsville, 48 walks, 59 Ks in 402 at-bats, 10 steals. Kind of a blah season.
18) Evan Anundsen, ,RHP, Grade C+: Pitched three innings for Brevard County on June 14th, has otherwise missed entire season with shoulder problems.
19) Mark Rogers, RHP, Grade C+: 3.86 ERA, 90/62 K/BB in 96 innings for Huntsville, 66 hits. Love the K/IP and H/IP, and he gets grounders too (1.66 GO/AO), but he's got to get the walks down.
20) Logan Schafer, OF, Grade C+: 4-for-23 (.174) in seven games for Brevard County, missed time early with groin injury then broke his foot.
21) Scooter Gennett, SS, Grade C+: .321/.367/.481, 28 walks, 75 strikeouts, 13 steals in 418 at-bats for Wisconsin. 37 doubles. Nice season.
Jeremy Jeffress wasn't on the list due to the drug problem but would be now. There are some disappointments here, especially Arnett, and some injury attrition. But the continued development of Lawrie, Odorizzi, Peralta, Scarpetta, Heckathorn, Cain, and Rivas is good to see.