- Obviously he stunk the first two months
- Heard a lot about the problem being hand placement as pitcher was delivering the pitch. Come on, a timing issue causing one of the most feared hitters to become the worst?
- Horrible at getting on inside pitches. Got reviews on his doubles against the wall on inside pitches. haha. Fighting off inside pitches for doubles off the wall is a sign of how smart a hitter he is. And a sign of how limited he was
- Last several months he was much better. Had top power in the AL but didn't bring the batting average and other numbers with it. IMO still limited
- Had severe wrist problems in 2009
- More importantly couldn't swing a bat last offseason. Sure he was healthy for spring training. But had 0 power leading into the spring training.
- Had severe shoulder issues in 2009. While reports say it's a non-issue it was also stated he went to Boston in the fall from the DR to get cortisone shots. That's not a non-issue.
- Fat. Was more fat than ever before. It's ok when you have plus bat speed.
- So much talk about this. But his numbers after testing started still had huge power. So either he is doing HGH or other stuff and his power hasn't gone. Or he stopped drugs but still hit for power. Or never did drugs. Either way I think it's a non-issue.
- Lost a lot of weight which is ok. It looks good for media but who really cares. Fat guys can hit.
- More importantly he is working out and swinging a bat. This is huge.
- Some concern over the shoulder issue. That is my only concern.
- Obviously the health of his father affected him. I can't even begin to speculate how this will affect him.
As far as I'm concerned he is in for a huge bounce back year. There is a risk with his shoulder. But I think he is one of the best bets to have a really big return in 2010.