Philadelphia Phillies Top 20 Prospects for 2008
All grades are EXTREMELY PRELIMINARY and subject to change.
- Carlos Carrasco, RHP, Grade B
- Adrian Cardenas, 2B, Grade B
- Josh Outman, LHP, Grade B
- Joe Savery, LHP, Grade B (I still worry about his health)
- Kyle Drabek, RHP, Grade C+ (injuries, command, and personality are huge questions)
- Jason Donald, SS, Grade C+ (big time sleeper)
- Greg Golson, OF, Grade C+ (tools out the wazoo but no polish)
- Travis Blackley, LHP, Grade C+
- J.A. Happ, LHP, Grade C+ (interchangeable with Blackley)
- Lou Marson, C, Grade C+
- Antonio Bastardo, LHP, Grade C+
- Julian Sampson, RHP, Grade C+
- Travis D'Arnaud, C, Grade C+ (questionable bat for me)
- Matt Spencer, OF, Grade C+
- Andrew Carpenter, RHP, Grade C+
- Jeremy Slayden, OF, Grade C (I like him a lot but old for a prospect)
- Scott Mathieson, RHP, Grade C (would rank higher if health was sure)
- Tyler Mach, 3B-2B, Grade C
- Travis Mattair, 3B, Grade C
- Dominic Brown, OF, Grade C (great tools, skills?)
The Phillies have an interesting mix. They have some polished guys without great tools, and they have some tools guys with no skills, but not many with both.
Again, don't get all pissy about exact placement on this list. The grades are more important than someone being ranked 15th instead of 13th.
Of course, full statistics and reports on over 1,000 other players will be in the 2008 Baseball Prospect Book, now available for pre-order. Ships the first Monday in February!