I thought it might be interesting to check in on the progress of our 2006 draftees.
Disclaimer: Letter grades are just one fan's opinion. They are based on performance only, not on future potential and are very subjective.
1. KC: Luke Hochevar, RHP. AA: 3-6, 4.69, 94 IP, 26 BB, 94 K. AAA: 1-3, 5.12, 58 IP, 21 BB, 44 K.
MLB: 0-1, 2.13, 12.2 IP, 4 BB, 5 K. Grade B. Modest performance at each level, but gets some credit for advancing to The Show, even if just for a cup of coffee.
- Col: Greg Reynolds, RHP. AA: 4-1, 1.42, 50.2 IP, 9 BB, 35 K, GO/AO= 1.82. Shut down with roatator cuff inflammation. Had a "minor" surgical procedure and is expected to be ready for spring training. Grade C+. Great ERA, but relies on control/GB's. Will this hold up at higher levels? The injury is cause for concern too. Aside: #2 overall draft pick to the WS in 2 years? Nice job Colorado!
- TB: Evan Longoria, 3B. AA: .307/.403/.528.
- Pit: Brad Lincoln, RHP. DNP/TJ Incomplete. Would be an F except chances of coming back strong from TJ reasonably good. Poor Bucs fans.
- Seattle: Brandon Morrow, RHP. MLB: 3-4, 4.12, 63.1 IP, 50 BB, 66 K. Grade A-. An awful lot of walks, but otherwise props for a successful MLB debut all the way from rookie ball! Like the versatility here. Can move to starter or closer.
- Detroit: Andrew Miller, LHP. Minors(several stops): 3-4, 2.77, 78 IP, 25 BB, 61 K. GO/AO= 4.32!
- LA: Clayton Kershaw, LHP. Low A: 7-5, 2.77, 97.1 IP, 50 BB, 134 K. AA: 1-2, 3.65, 24.2 IP, 17 BB, 29 K. Grade A-. Too many walks, plenty of time to improve that. K's show prodigious talent. I have to say I'm PO'd at the Dodgers for habitually jumping their best prospects from low A to AA, so I don't get to see them in the Cal League.
- Cincy: Drew Stubbs, OF. Low A: .270/.364/.421, 12 HR, 23 SB, 15 CS. Grade C. A college draftee in low A ball should do better than this.
- Balt: Bill Rowell, OF. Low A: .273/.335/.426, 9 HR. Grade B-. Not terrible for a HS draftee, but others in same class have done better. I still like his upside, though.
- SF: Tim Lincecum, RHP. AAA: 4-0, 0.29!, 31 IP, 11 BB, 46 K. MLB: 7-5, 4.00, 146.1 IP, 65 BB, 150 K. Grade A. Room to sharpen command, but about as good as it gets for a first full season.
- Ariz: Max Scherzer, RHP. High A: 2-0, 0.53, 17 IP, 2 BB, 30 K. AA: 4-4, 3.91, 73.2, 40 BB, 76 K. AFL: 1-1, 2.13, 12.2 IP, 5 BB, 18 K. Grade B+. Not sure how the D'Backs kept him from going to Oakland. Probably has the highest ceiling of any D'Backs pitching prospect.
- Texas: Kasey Kiker, LHP. Low A: 7-4, 2.90, 96.1 IP, 41 BB, 112 K's. Grade B+. Very nice looking numbers, a tick below Kershaw since Kershaw made a successful jump to AA.
- Chi Cubs: Tyler Colvin, OF. High A: .306/.336/.514. AA: .291/.313/.462. Grade B. Nate Schierholtz gets hammered for his poor plate discipline, why not Colvin?
- Tor: Travis Snider, OF. Low A: .313/.377/.525, 16 HR's. AFL: .316/.404/.541, 4 HR, 98 AB's. Grade A. Can you ask any more of a HS draftee in his first full season?
- WA: Chris Marrero, 3B/OF/1B? Low A: .293/.337/.545, 14 HR. High A: .259/.338/.431, 9 HR. Grade A- Stumbled a bit after promotion, but still showed power. Like this kid a lot.
- Mil: Jeremy Jeffress, RHP: Low A: 9-5, 3.13, 86.1 IP, 44 BB, 95 K. Grade B. Really a fine season for a kid this raw. Should the substance issues lower his grade?
- SD: Matt Antonelli, 2B. HIgh A: .314/.409/.499, 14 HR. AA: .294/.395/.476, 7 HR. Grade A-. Alderson and Fuson show how Moneyball is done! Only caution is both Cal and Texas leagues are hitter's leagues. I think this guy is going to be excellent at 2B for the Pads though. Arrrgh! I really like the way the Pads aren't shying away from power in a big ballpark. They just figure they'll hit 'em farther than the visiting teams.
- Phi: Kyle Drabek, RHP. low A: 5-1, 4.33, 54 IP, 23 BB, 46 K, GO/AO= 2.08. Shut down for TJ surgery midseason. Grade C. Good chance of full recovery, but has to be a dissappointment for the Phils on top of makeup issues.
- Fla: Brett Sinkbell, RHP. High A: 6-4, 3.42, 79 IP, 14 BB, 49 K, GO/AO= 2.22. HWBL: 3-1, 1.64, 33.0 IP, 16 BB, 24 K, GO/AO= 2.50. Grade B+? This is a hard one. Would like to see a college draftee move higher than High A already but Chamberlain and Kennedy used HWBL performances to propel them all the way to the majors last year. Sinkbell must have a helluva sinker.
- Min: Chris Parmelee, OF. Low A: .239/.313/.414, 15 HR. Grade C+. Gets a plus for power and playing in a pitcher's league, but still a disappointment for Twins fans.
- NYY: Ian Kennedy, RHP. Minors(several stops): 12-3, 1.91, 146.1 IP, 50 BB, 163 K. MLB: 1-0, 1.89, 19 IP, 9 BB, 15 K. Grade A. Gotta give credit where it's due. A surprisingly great season for a guy considered by many to have low ceiling. Can he help the Yanks rotation this spring?
- WA: Colton Willems, RHP. SS: 3-2, 1.84, 58.2 IP, 26 BB, 31 K. GO/AO= 1.84. Grade C+. Gets dinged for low K's and level of play. Nats are taking it very slow with this youngster.
- Hou: Max Sapp, C. Low A: .241/.330/.333. Grade D. Is it too early to start thinking Sapp is a bust?
- Atl: Cody Johnson, OF. SS(Appy): .305/.374/.630! 17 HR. Grade B. Would be a A except for level of play. Can the Braves work their magic on a kid who had bust written all over him?
- LAA: Hank Conger, C. Low A: .290/.336/.472, 11 HR's. Grade B+. Gets a break for being in a tough league and playing a premium position. Gotta love the Hank for Prez video too.
- LAD: Bryan Morris, RHP. DNP/TJ. Incomplete.
- Bos: Jason Place, OF. Low A: .214/.298/.359, 12 HR. Grade D+. Gets a plus for showing some power, but that's an ugly BA.
- Bos: Daniel Bard, RHP. Minors(several stops): 3-7, 7.08, 75 IP, 78 BB, 47 K. HWBL: 0-0, 1.08, 16.2 IP, 15 BB, 15 K. Grade D. Ouch! 1/1 K/BB in the HWBL not too reassuring. This draft seemed so promising for Boston at the time.
- CWS: Kyle McCulloch, RHP. High A: 7-7, 3.64, 121 IP, 42 BB, 88 K, GO/AO= 2.45. AA: 1-2, 6.41, 26.2 IP, 11 BB, 16 K, GO/AO= 2.14. Grade C+. Peripherals still look good in AA. Low risk/low ceiling pick who is staying true to form.
- StL: Adam Ottavino, RHP. High A: 12-8, 3.08, 143.1 IP, 63 BB, 128 K, GO/AO= 1.38. Grade C+. Another low risk/low ceiling pick who is on track.