Geovany Soto found his inner predator in 2007
Chicago Cubs Top 20 Prospects for 2008
All grades are EXTREMELY PRELIMINARY and subject to change.
- Josh Vitters, 3B, Grade B+ (tough call, see commentary below)
- Geovany Soto, C, Grade B+ (tough call, see commentary below)
- Sean Gallagher, RHP, Grade B
- Eric Patterson, 2B-OF, Grade B (I dropped him from B+ due to defense)
- Tyler Colvin, OF, Grade B
- Josh Donaldson, C, Grade B
- Donald Veal, LHP, Grade B-
- Jeff Samardzija, RHP, Grade B-
- Jose Ceda, RHP, Grade B-
- Tony Thomas, 2B, Grade B-
- Billy Petrick, RHP, Grade C+
- Kevin Hart, RHP, Grade C+
- Sam Fuld, OF, Grade C+
- Jake Fox, C-1B, Grade C+
- Allesandro Maestri, RHP, Grade C+
- Steve Clevenger, C, Grade C+
- Mitch Atkins, RHP, Grade C
- Mark Holliman, RHP, Grade C
- Matt Craig, 3B, Grade C
- Larry Suarez, RHP, Grade C
- Ryan Acosta, RHP, Grade C
Baseball America's list should come out on Monday, and I imagine it could be substantially different.
The hardest part is the top two. Who would you rather have? Vitters or Soto? Vitters is the big-name guy, of course, the hot first round pick, young and talented. But he was so BAD after signing. How seriously should we take a 14-game sample size? Soto's ceiling isn't as high as Vitters', but he's already major league ready.
Don't forget to Pre-Order the 2008 Baseball Prospect Book. It will have full reports on all these players and over 1,000 others. Shipping the first Monday in February!