2007 Arizona Diamondbacks Prospects
- Justin Upton, OF, Grade A- (He was coasting this year but should improve)
- Chris Young, OF, B+ (Should do everything except hit for average)
- Carlos Gonzalez, OF, Grade B+ (Weak plate discipline prevents A- grade)
- Miguel Montero, C, B+ (solid all-around catching prospect)
- Alberto Callaspo, 2B, B (Hits for average and fields well)
- Micah Owings, RHP, B (solid all-around pitching prospect)
- Brett Anderson, LHP, B (polished high school lefty should move quickly)
- Gerardo Parra, OF, B (not as much power as Gonzalez, but more speed and polish)
- Dustin Nippert, RHP, B- (Seems nervous in the majors)
- Brooks Brown, RHP, B- (Another solid all-around pitching prospect)
- Cyle Hankerd, OF, B- (very strong bat, but where does he fit?)
- Mark Reynolds, UT, C+ (good power, utility glove, Mark Bellhorn type?)
- Emilio Bonifacio, 2B, C+ (Good speed)
- Chris Carter, 1B, C+ (very strong bat, but where does he fit?)
- Matt Torra, RHP, C+ (Pitched well in August recovering from labrum surgery)
- Hector Ambriz, RHP, C+ (yet another solid all-around pitching prospect)
- Javier Brito, 1B, C+ (see Chris Carter)
- Alberto Gonzalez, SS, C+ (good glove)
- Steven Jackson, RHP, C+ (excellent season in Double-A following mechanical rebuild)
- Ross Ohlendorf, RHP, C+ (sleeper who throws strikes)
The Diamondbacks in One Sentence: Graduation to the majors of guys like Drew, Jackson, and Quentin hurt upper-level system depth, but there is still plenty of talent in this system, and they have a proven ability to recharge quickly.
Max Scherzer is a Grade B or B+, haven't decided yet. When/If he signs, he would slot in at Number Five.
Note: Remember that ALL GRADES ARE PRELIMINARY. There is a lot of slack in the B-/C+/C range and players may move up and down depending on how my thinking progresses. Feel free to make comments, point out sleepers I may have missed, etc. Note that there is only a limited amount of space in the book, and the max I can do is 35-36 players per team.
And, as always, there is the helpful reminder to Buy My Book, which will lay out reports for all these guys (and more) in detail.