2007 Florida Marlins Prospects
- Sean West, LHP, Grade B+ (I like him best of the Greensboro bunch right now)
- Chris Volstad, RHP, Grade B (very projectable, a bit more than Thompson)
- Aaron Thompson, LHP, Grade B (very projectable)
- Taylor Tankersley, LHP, B (under the 50-inning limit. Needs better control to sustain low ERA but I think he'll be fine)
- Gaby Hernandez, RHP, B (solid all-around pitcher)
- Jose Garcia, RHP, B (fine talent, needs a consolidation season)
- Renyel Pinto, LHP, B (another guy with talent but need for sharper command)
- Brett Sinkbeil, RHP, B (I'm not sure why, but I just have a feeling that he might disappoint. Not a scientific opinion, just a nagging doubt that I can't pin down)
- Gabriel Sanchez, 1B, B (intriguing and overlooked bat)
- Henry Owens, RHP, B- (power arm for bullpen, from Mets)
- Matt Lindstrom, RHP, C+ (power arm for bullpen, from Mets)
- Ryan Tucker, RHP, C+ (Great stuff, command needs a lot of work)
- Paul Mildren, LHP, C+ (Australian lefty on 40-man)
- Rick Vanden Hurk, RHP, C+ (Dutch power arm had good fall league)
- Harvey Garcia, RHP, C+ (another power arm to track)
- Jacob Marceaux, RHP, C+ (had a decent year but overshadowed by younger arms in system)
- Kyle Winters, RHP, C+ (projectable righthander to watch)
- Chris Coghlan, 3B, C+ (should hit for average)
- Jesus Delgado, RHP, C (another bullpen power arm)
- Scott Tyler, RHP, C (another bullpen power arm)
- Hector Correa, RHP, C (impressive rookie ball pitcher)
The Marlins in One Sentence: This system is thinned out after all the major league graduations, but there is still an intriguing set of long-term arms.
They really need some hitters, though, and I'd like to see them focus on that in the '07 draft just to provide a bit of balance to the system.
ALL GRADES ARE PRELIMINARY. If you hate a grade, feel free to make a case for me to change it, though remember that cases phrased respectfully using logic and facts are more likely to be viewed positively than those featuring insults and invective.
There is a lot of slack in the B-/C+/C range and players may move up and down depending on how my thinking progresses. Feel free to make comments, point out sleepers I may have missed, etc. Note that there is only a limited amount of space in the book, and the max I can do is 35-36 players per team.
And, as always, there is the helpful reminder to Buy My Book, which will lay out reports for all these guys (and more) in detail.