I'd like to have a thread that only non-Oakland A's and non-Boston Red Sox fans can address the following questions. The biased opinions of apologist fans are not appreciated here. Of course, Boston fans can answer Oakland questions and vice-versa...
- Are the Red Sox OK with their team the way it is today, especially at SS and CF? Are they a favorite to make the playoffs?
- Are the Red Sox currently at a disadvantage in trade talks?
- Two-part Joe Blanton question:
b. What is his ceiling?
- Is Barry Zito a "shutdown" pitcher?
- Is Oakland currently a better team than Anaheim (or whatever they are called!)?
- They are not as good as they were last year, and they need a lot of things to fall into place for them to win 95 again. And, no, they are behind at least the Yankees, Indians, White Sox, Angels, and A's in the American League.
- Yes, absolutely. They are dealing from weakness and need, not strength.
3(b). I think he can become a decent #3/good #4 in time. Not sure he's put it all together yet, though.
- No. He's good, but to be a shutdown pitcher, you need to be a bonafide ace, and he's not.
- Close. I'd probably favor Anaheim slightly, but I could see it going either way.